The Student Room Group

Practising clinical skills at home??

Hi, I'm going into my second year of medicine this Autumn, with lots of clinical skills and introduction to clinical years... We were allowed to try some basic vital skills measuring in first year, but it became obvious to me that I was gonna need much more practice. Especially for manually measuring blood pressure!

So my question is, would it be wise to invest in a sphygmomanometer to practise on myself/flatmates/friends? They're not that expensive, but don't know what to go for.
Any advice would be appreciated! (already have to purchase a steth anyway)

Thanks,
Lily

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
(When I wrote vital skills I meant vital signs haha) :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Lily Rowena
Hi, I'm going into my second year of medicine this Autumn, with lots of clinical skills and introduction to clinical years... We were allowed to try some basic vital skills measuring in first year, but it became obvious to me that I was gonna need much more practice. Especially for manually measuring blood pressure!

So my question is, would it be wise to invest in a sphygmomanometer to practise on myself/flatmates/friends? They're not that expensive, but don't know what to go for.

Thanks,
Lily

Posted from TSR Mobile

I bought one and found it useful to practice. They're not too expensive - just a Welch-Allen one.

Thanks,
Lily

Posted from TSR Mobile

Go for it.

A sphyg is cheap on amazon. It can't hurt Your clinical skills department might lend you one or let you use theirs for practice. And you'll get lots of opportunity to practice, but if you want to practice at home then go for it!
(edited 7 years ago)
As above, I would probably focus on just borrowing one from the clinical skills department at your uni. It will probably only take a few hours of solid effort to get decent with BP. Can't hurt to buy one though if you're feeling stuck or can't borrow one :smile: I was fortunate enough that one of my housemates in first year had one spare from his time as a first aider.
I bought one in first year, helped loads as I wasn't great at doing BP lol
Reply 6
Thank you everyone! I'll probably just buy one as I'm not sure how my uni's clinical skills department works for lending equipment, and should I start stressing it might feel comforting to be able to just whip it out and practise or something haha :P

If anyone else has recommendations about what brands to get/where from, please say! From the response above it doesn't seem like there is much of a reason to buy more expensive/professional brands (?)

Thanks a lot everyone :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Thank you everyone! I'll probably just buy one as I'm not sure how my uni's clinical skills department works for lending equipment, and should I start stressing it might feel comforting to be able to just whip it out and practise or something haha :P

If anyone else has recommendations about what brands to get/where from, please say! From the response above it doesn't seem like there is much of a reason to buy more expensive/professional brands (?)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would have a look at what your uni uses for OSCEs and see if you can get the same one. Merely because, at ours at least, they're sometimes horrible and detach parts and you need to figure out how to reassemble :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending