The Student Room Group

I'm a Data Analyst for TSR - AMA!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Supersaps
How much do you sell our data for to get companies to pay for targeted advertising?

Let's be honest, this is your job.

SS

Ha, I don't do the selling... I provide the sales team with the data and they set the prices :wink:
Original post by jenhasdreams
That sounds perfect for an entry role :smile: Excel and SQL are the main things I use. You're not looking for a job in Brighton are you? :lol:

Nope, London area and Surrey :smile:
Ha, I don't do the selling... I provide the sales team with the data and they set the prices :wink:

At least you do the clever bit. :smile:
Original post by micycle
Do you know / need to use programming?

How large is the TSR database / content server?

On the top of my head our database is just shy of 500M rows, with about 450GB of data for what serves TSR, and we run it across 4 servers (totaling 68 Cores, 282GB RAM)

Our reporting databases which @jenhasdreams crunches her numbers on are about 1TB data and we have two of these running.
Original post by adamstrawson
On the top of my head our database is just shy of 500M rows, with about 450GB of data for what serves TSR, and we run it across 4 servers (totaling 68 Cores, 282GB RAM)

Our reporting databases which @jenhasdreams crunches her numbers on are about 1TB data and we have two of these running.

:drool:
Reply 45
What's the highest repped post in this thread?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4238456
Just bumping this thread because I need it for something.
Reply 47
What is the most dupe accounts found (on one IP).
Original post by Captain Jack
Just bumping this thread because I need it for something.

Hi Jack! What have I done now?
Hi Jack! What have I done now?

Given me lots of amazing stats :biggrin:
staaaats

Hello Jenhasdreams, I have a few questions.

How many times has the word "Islam" and "Muslims" been typed :biggrin:

Why does the website not block registered accounts made via proxies?

What is your favourite food of all time?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 52
I did this thread a couple of years ago and got a fair bit of interest, so thought I'd re run it (plus, there's a prize at stake :wink:)

I've been working at TSR for over 2 years now as a Data Analyst.

Ask me about interesting site stats - what's the most repped post? How many people visit the site on results day? who's the best member of the CT?
Or you can ask about how I got into my career, my qualifications, and what I enjoy about it!

Please don't ask me:
- how much I get paid
- how much Captain Jack gets paid
- moderation queries
- mean things...

Why does the post history under my stats only go as far back as 2012 when I have threads posted from 2011? This happens to be the case for many older users and I would like to see my older posts.
Original post by UWS
Why does the post history under my stats only go as far back as 2012 when I have threads posted from 2011? This happens to be the case for many older users and I would like to see my older posts.

We do store the posts still, but it seems like the search tool only pulls posts from a certain date. I don't know why this is, would need a techy answer.. @Dez?
My most repped post pl0x
Reply 55
Original post by UWS

We do store the posts still, but it seems like the search tool only pulls posts from a certain date. I don't know why this is, would need a techy answer.. @Dez?

The search index database is separate to the actual post database. I don't know why older data would be left out of the index, but I could hazard a guess at a couple of reasons - speed, efficiency or something along those lines being the most likely.
Reply 56
Who has the best desk in the office? :holmes:
Original post by Dez
The search index database is separate to the actual post database. I don't know why older data would be left out of the index, but I could hazard a guess at a couple of reasons - speed, efficiency or something along those lines being the most likely.

Any chance of this decision being reversed? It's just bizarre not being able to search for old posts. The cons surely outweigh any possible gain in speed.
Reply 58
Original post by Dez

I think we should be able to search for older posts though. There are a lot of valuable threads that may not pop up because of the limit
Reply 59
Original post by Snufkin
Any chance of this decision being reversed? It's just bizarre not being able to search for old posts. The cons surely outweigh any possible gain in speed.

Original post by UWS
I think we should be able to search for older posts though. There are a lot of valuable threads that may not pop up because of the limit

It's not my decision, I don't work on search. The old search system is pretty ungainly to begin with to be honest though, so I doubt it'll get updated anytime soon.

Quick Reply

Latest