The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Undergraduate Admissions 2017 entry

Welcome to the University of Glasgow Undergraduate Admissions official thread for 2017 applications!

We are already making decisions on applications so look out for a UCAS Track update within 2-3 weeks (some Professional degrees take longer, see below). As closing dates approach, it may take a little longer.

Application acknowledgments are now being sent! Any updates to your application will be made via UCASTrack.
Closing Dates

Scottish/EU students: 15th January
Rest of UK (RUK) and International Students: 30thJune

Late applications are not accepted, so please make sure that your application is fully submitted (including reference, personal statement, and payment) by the relevant date to avoid disappointment. Tip don’t wait until the last minute to submit your application!

Applications to Medicine, Vet Medicine, Dentistry & Law
glasgow.ac.uk/undergraduate/choosingyourdegree/professional/
Application acknowledgements have been sent. You should receive a decision for the above courses before the end of
March 2017. Any updates to your application will be made via UCAS Track.

Thank you for visiting our thread and please ask any questions you have about admissions :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Seems like I am the first one here.
Here is my question. When I looked into the course of Computer Science, the graduate salary was £22000 whereas it is £28000 for Software Engineering. What is the difference between the two courses? How many students are admitted in the respective courses every year?
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by SayoniRoy
Seems like I am the first one here.
Here is my question. When I looked into the course of Computer Science, the graduate salary was £22000 whereas it is £28000 for Software Engineering. What is the difference between the two courses? How many students are admitted in the respective courses every year?

Hey, there's limited places on the software engineering degree stream, but the content is exactly the same. I believe the exact number is around 40. The software engineering stream just limits your choices in 4th/5th year in exchange for a different degree title.

The Software Engineering stream also mandates that you must have an internship between 3rd and 4th year. This is the reason that places are limited, as the University can only organise so many internships for it's students. Everyone I know on the Comp Sci stream (including myself) had no issues with finding an internship though.

I would hypothesis that the difference in incomes is due to the fact that more comp sci students choose to remain in academia, and almost 100% of software engineering students will go into a software development job. Careful not to assume that is caused by comp sci students not being ABLE to go in software development, it's more that they have more options available to them than the software engineering students.
I was wondering how soon Glasgow usually sends out offers to applicants?

The website states it would be before March. But, as I know that universities such as Lancaster try to send an offer within 3 weeks of recieving an application, I was wondering if there were any more specifics in Glasgow's timetable that may be shared?

Thank you.
Received my unconditional offer for English today! (Already have my results) anyone else studying English?
Never mind my question. I received an offer for economics (SocSci) yesterday. Clearly Glasgow does do offers earlier.
Reply 6
When did you send your application? I applied for economics and politics, I still haven't heard anything from them :/
Original post by mintiess
When did you send your application? I applied for economics and politics, I still haven't heard anything from them :/

I sent mine on last Monday (not the 10th). I'd imagine it would take longer for a joint subject, surely they'd have to check that both subjects are willing to send you an offer?

Hi there, if you would like to send me a private message with your UCAS personal ID, I would be happy to check on your application for you!

Kelly
Undergraduate Admissions
Hi everyone, my name is Kelly and I will be happy to help with any Undergraduate admissions questions you may have!

Kelly
Undergraduate Admissions
Original post by University of Glasgow admissions
Hi everyone, my name is Kelly and I will be happy to help with any Undergraduate admissions questions you may have!

Kelly
Undergraduate Admissions

When will glasgow start sending out offers?
Original post by SayoniRoy
When will glasgow start sending out offers?

Hi SayoniRoy, we have already begun to send out 2017 offers - the current turnaround time is about 2 weeks. I would be happy to check on your application for you if you like, you can PM me with your UCAS personal ID.

Kelly
I took half of my final examination (ylioppilastutkinto, I'm from Finland) last month and now it seems like I'll exceed my predicted grades. Should I inform the university about this? I'm worried that I won't get an offer because of my predicted grades even if my real ones would be good enough..
I took half of my final examination (ylioppilastutkinto, I'm from Finland) last month and now it seems like I'll exceed my predicted grades. Should I inform the university about this? I'm worried that I won't get an offer because of my predicted grades even if my real ones would be good enough..

Hi mintiess, don't worry about your predicted grades! You will receive a standard offer from us about 2 weeks after the date of application. Keep up the good work! :smile:

NB Applicants to Professional degrees (Medicine, Vet Medicine, Law, Dentistry) should contact the relevant school with revised predicted grades.

Kelly
Reply 14
Hello! I was wondering if glasgow sends out a confirmation email once they receive your ucas application. I've received the confirmation email from all the schools i have applied to except for glasgow :/
Original post by jaysinn
Hello! I was wondering if glasgow sends out a confirmation email once they receive your ucas application. I've received the confirmation email from all the schools i have applied to except for glasgow :/

Hi jaysinn, Glasgow doesn't sent out a confirmation email because UCAS already send an acknowledgement that your application has been submitted. We try to get offers out within 2 weeks of application, so you should hear back very soon!
- Kelly
Reply 16
Hi jaysinn, Glasgow doesn't sent out a confirmation email because UCAS already send an acknowledgement that your application has been submitted. We try to get offers out within 2 weeks of application, so you should hear back very soon!
- Kelly

Ahh that clears things up! I am applying for medicine though. Will the offer for interview take longer? Thank you!
Original post by jaysinn
Ahh that clears things up! I am applying for medicine though. Will the offer for interview take longer? Thank you!

Ah, yes applications to Medicine (and other Professional areas) are different - sorry! I'll update the sticky intro to specify that for others, so there is no further confusion!

The turnaround times for the Professional areas are a lot longer - as you would expect! As long as you have an acknowledgement from UCAS that your application has been submitted, and your UCAS Track page confirms it, you can sit tight for a response (easier said that done!).
- Kelly
Reply 18
Ah, yes applications to Medicine (and other Professional areas) are different - sorry! I'll update the sticky intro to specify that for others, so there is no further confusion!

The turnaround times for the Professional areas are a lot longer - as you would expect! As long as you have an acknowledgement from UCAS that your application has been submitted, and your UCAS Track page confirms it, you can sit tight for a response (easier said that done!).
- Kelly

Hahaha yes was expecting it to be a lot longer than 2 weeks. Nonetheless, thank you for your help! :smile:
Hi I am considering to apply for Politics and International Relations but I received AAABC in my highers in 5th year so wondering if it's likely for you to give out conditionals? I am sitting 3 new highers this year, obviously I know you you won't be able to give me specifics but a bit of guidance may be useful. Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest