Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Social Work as a second degree, first degree finished without honours.

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016

I found it a little tricky to find any information about funding for second degrees and I've seen a lot of varied replies with some people saying they got funding and some saying you won't get funding if you have an honours degree already etc.

I finished a degree recently but due to personal circumstances I didn't pass my dissertation. I'm incredibly disappointed with myself because up until then I never failed a single module and now I have finished with an ordinary degree with no classification, looking online I've seen some say it's basically worse than getting a third. So I have no honours degree and can't do postgraduate study because I need an honours degree onto any post grad course. I asked my Uni (BCU) if there was any chance I could resist the term or the year as I've known people in other Universities (Wolverhampton and UOB) be able to resist the year but they "changed the regulations" and I was just withdrawn from the course and told they could do nothing for me.

I just wanted to know if I were to begin a new degree would I get funding? I was funded for three years on my previous course and I've seen some say you only get a total of four years but I don't know if that's per application.

If that's impossible is there any way you can top-up an ordinary degree to an honours degree?

I know my questions might seem a little silly but I'm out of options and I don't have £27,000 at hand to study again.

I just see a lot of people saying ordinary degrees are not worth much and I don't know what to do.

Thanks in advance,

Hi, it appears that you have been withdrawn with an exit qualification. You are able to "top up" to the Honours on a different course but your application will be assessed taking your previous study into consideration. As an ordinary degree is a lower level qualification than an Honours, there may be support available. For example, if you return to study a top up on a Ba(H) course that is ordinarily 3 years in duration and you directly enter the final year of the course, you would be eligible for support for that year. This is worked out by the calculation 3 (ordinary duration of new course) plus 1 (additional year) minus 3 (years you have previously studied) = 1 year of entitlement remaining.

Hope this helps. Alternatively, you can contact us 0300 100 0607 where one of our advisors will be happy to discuss your application.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 18, 2016
Would you rather find
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.