The Student Room Group

Is it possible for an examiner to make a huge mistake (As results)

So I got my As results today and I got ACDD, One of the subjects I got D was in Law a subject which I was so certain I had exceled in and was very sure I got an A or at least a high B. After finding out I got a D I was understandably shocked and I will try to get it remarked but the fact that an A is so far away from a D the only way I can think it can get remarked so high is if the examiner has made a mistake. Does anyone know if it has happeaned where examiners make huge mistakes or is this just me thinking I exceled at an exam when I clearly diddnt. P.S - one reason I think I might of got low is because of my handrwriting because I am known for messy handwriting when writing a lot, so would it be possible for the remarker to understand my handwriting better then the original
Well done on those results :smile: I have the same issue with chemistry where I was sure I got at least a B but just saw I got a D?? Don't know how that's possible really- sometimes mistakes are made though so it's worth checking I think! Handwriting isn't a reason for a bad mark since examiners are trained to be able to read bad handwriting so I'd ask for a remark if I were you!
Reply 2
Original post by angelscity
Well done on those results :smile: I have the same issue with chemistry where I was sure I got at least a B but just saw I got a D?? Don't know how that's possible really- sometimes mistakes are made though so it's worth checking I think! Handwriting isn't a reason for a bad mark since examiners are trained to be able to read bad handwriting so I'd ask for a remark if I were you!

Thanks for the response and you should also defiantly get your chemistry remarked as well. I just feel that with a remark because there are less examiners surely spend a little more time on them so will put more effort in checking the handwriting idk but I just praying it was a mistake
Same case with me. I thought i got a high 90% to 100% in fp3 but ended up with 79. Can they make such mistakes? I looked on the unofficial mark scheme and i was correct mostly
Reply 4
Original post by Major-fury
Same case with me. I thought i got a high 90% to 100% in fp3 but ended up with 79. Can they make such mistakes? I looked on the unofficial mark scheme and i was correct mostly

Same I look in accordance with the mark scheme and someone has just alerted me of something called priority remarking where remarking is done straight away.
Original post by erzrocks
Same I look in accordance with the mark scheme and someone has just alerted me of something called priority remarking where remarking is done straight away.

yeh i go that i'm just kinda let down was thinking I did way better than this.

Mistakes happen, millions of exams are marked, people are human. Sometimes it's the marking and sometimes it's a clerical error in the recording of marks. Most remark requests are unsuccessful and new rules around changing grades have been introduced this year that will reduce the likelihood even further. Your exams officer will tell you that Priority remarks should only be requested for students who have university places depending on the result and so won't request one. Normal remarks usually only take a few days anyway but it does depend on the examiner and the subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by gdunne42
Mistakes happen, millions of exams are marked, people are human. Sometimes it's the marking and sometimes it's a clerical error in the recording of marks. Most remark requests are unsuccessful and new rules around changing grades have been introduced this year that will reduce the likelihood even further. Your exams officer will tell you that Priority remarks should only be requested for students who have university places depending on the result and so won't request one. Normal remarks usually only take a few days anyway but it does depend on the examiner and the subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh thanks so I guess priority marking is not the route to go so just normal remarking and I completely understand that a lot of them are unsuccessful which makes me ponder even more how I messed up so badly when everything I wrote was confirmed by my law teacher. Law was the subject I was banking on and I thought I did really well.
Reply 8
I got my results back and was really shocked at my physics result. I got a B overall (predicted an A) though in the first paper I got 56% which is equivalent to a D, I found the paper tricky though didn't think it was that horrific that I would lose around 66 marks. In the second paper I got 85%. All year round I always got A/high B so I am really confused and disheartened. I think I am going to get my paper remarked and also get a photocopy of the script so that I can go through the whole paper with my teacher!
Reply 9
Oh thanks so I guess priority marking is not the route to go so just normal remarking and I completely understand that a lot of them are unsuccessful which makes me ponder even more how I messed up so badly when everything I wrote was confirmed by my law teacher. Law was the subject I was banking on and I thought I did really well.

I think priority marking is more for A2 results so that they can confirm uni places
Original post by angelscity

Well done????

They can do without people like you taking the piss.
Reply 11
Original post by thecgil
I got my results back and was really shocked at my physics result. I got a B overall (predicted an A) though in the first paper I got 56% which is equivalent to a D, I found the paper tricky though didn't think it was that horrific that I would lose around 66 marks. In the second paper I got 85%. All year round I always got A/high B so I am really confused and disheartened. I think I am going to get my paper remarked and also get a photocopy of the script so that I can go through the whole paper with my teacher!

Yeah I want to get the script and the remark, but the only thing is once you get the script you cant ask for any further remarks so you have to be carefull
Yeah I want to get the script and the remark, but the only thing is once you get the script you cant ask for any further remarks so you have to be carefull

I thought you can if the script is electronic? that way you are unable to change the answers but see for mistakes made by examiners.
Original post by Major-fury
I thought you can if the script is electronic? that way you are unable to change the answers but see for mistakes made by examiners.

You can ask for a photocopy of the script, and then get it remarked. It's if you ask for the original that you can't get a remark.
Reply 14
Original post by m3racer123
You can ask for a photocopy of the script, and then get it remarked. It's if you ask for the original that you can't get a remark.

Yeah getting a photocopy one would be ideal for showing to your teacher and then seeing if a remark is worthwhile. Thanks for letting me know about it

Quick Reply

Latest