The Student Room Group

I got an A on one paper and a D on the other?

I got the breakdown of my grades for my AS results, and for Classical Civilisation I got a D on one paper and an A on the other. I got a B overall, barely. Is it worth sending it for a remark? My only worry is that if my grade ends up going down I'll end up with a C overall, because I only just scraped a B by a few UMS marks. Also, I don't know which paper is which but I get the feeling the one I got a D on is the paper on which I completely forgot I had to leave two line spaces between each answer, instead I only left one - would this have mattered?
Reply 1
don't get it remarked
Original post by fairystories
I got the breakdown of my grades for my AS results, and for Classical Civilisation I got a D on one paper and an A on the other. I got a B overall, barely. Is it worth sending it for a remark? My only worry is that if my grade ends up going down I'll end up with a C overall, because I only just scraped a B by a few UMS marks. Also, I don't know which paper is which but I get the feeling the one I got a D on is the paper on which I completely forgot I had to leave two line spaces between each answer, instead I only left one - would this have mattered?

I don't think it will be worth a remark. It depends on how you usually did in the assessments throughout the school. For example, for the D paper, if you were constantly getting Ds or Cs throughout the year, then it won't be worth it. If you were getting high Bs and As then you should talk to your teacher about it. Some times it could be a singular student error, or sometimes there could be a cohort of marking error.

The two line rule won't matter. That's not what gets marked - it's what you write.

A B overall is good. I don't see why you'd want to put yourself through another AS exam around your A2 ones too. I did that and it was a nightmare. But then again, the one thing my teacher told was it's sometimes better to resit an AS module because it's easier to score higher marks than A2 content. But because you got a D and nothing below, I don't think it's worth it love.
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
I don't think it will be worth a remark. It depends on how you usually did in the assessments throughout the school. For example, for the D paper, if you were constantly getting Ds or Cs throughout the year, then it won't be worth it. If you were getting high Bs and As then you should talk to your teacher about it. Some times it could be a singular student error, or sometimes there could be a cohort of marking error.

The two line rule won't matter. That's not what gets marked - it's what you write.

A B overall is good. I don't see why you'd want to put yourself through another AS exam around your A2 ones too. I did that and it was a nightmare. But then again, the one thing my teacher told was it's sometimes better to resit an AS module because it's easier to score higher marks than A2 content. But because you got a D and nothing below, I don't think it's worth it love.

Thanks so much for your advice, I think you're right - I don't really want to go through the hassle of getting it remarked and plus its expensive, and I certainly don't want to resit. I also don't want to run the risk of it lowering to a C. I will speak to my teacher about it though, because I was getting Bs and As throughout assessments in the course. Again, thanks for your help.

Quick Reply

Latest