The Student Room Group

Are my results good enough for oxbridge?

Just got my As level results and received 3 as with 94% in politics 83.33% in economics and 81.25% in maths. I think that averages out to 86% roughly. With that average is it worth applying?
I'm guessing you're planning on applying for PPE from those subjects. Personally if I were in your situation I would apply - I know a lot of people say 90% average is really where you want to be for guaranteeing an interview but I know people who have done worse and still secured interviews. You have 5 choices at the end of the day, so it's fine to be ambitious with one of them.
I would say that you'll need a strong personal statement since the majority of people also applying will have similar or better UMS so try and really drill home your interest in the subject and how you've pursued it outside of school. Best of luck whatever you decide.
Hiya I'm interested in studying at Oxbridge too (French and Spanish) but I don't want to apply if I have no chance.In my AS I got:A in French (99%) A in Spanish (83%) - only 1 of 2 As, half my class got an E or a U and the class had 22 pupils.. I plan to retake one paper to get it up to near 90% so I can get an A* next yearA in Politics (86%)B in History which is currently being remarked as I did one paper and got an A and was too ill to do the second so I got given a calculated mark which took me down to a B I also go 10A* 1A at GCSE and my predicted grades are A*A*A (A*s in languages)Do I have a chance at Oxbridge but in particular Cambridge? Any replies welcome
Original post by Frenchspanish101
Hiya I'm interested in studying at Oxbridge too (French and Spanish) but I don't want to apply if I have no chance.In my AS I got:A in French (99%) A in Spanish (83%) - only 1 of 2 As, half my class got an E or a U and the class had 22 pupils.. I plan to retake one paper to get it up to near 90% so I can get an A* next yearA in Politics (86%)B in History which is currently being remarked as I did one paper and got an A and was too ill to do the second so I got given a calculated mark which took me down to a B I also go 10A* 1A at GCSE and my predicted grades are A*A*A (A*s in languages)Do I have a chance at Oxbridge but in particular Cambridge? Any replies welcome

You don't need to retake a paper to get an A* in Spanish. To get an A* requires two things, 1) an average of 80%+ over AS and A2 combined, and 2) 90%+ at A2 alone. Therefore if you achieve the second condition you will have automatically achieved the first given your 83% at AS. You might therefore be best advised to focus on your A2s.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ageshallnot
You don't need to retake a paper to get an A* in Spanish. To get an A* requires two things, 1) an average of 80%+ over AS and A2 combined, and 2) 90%+ at A2 alone. Therefore if you achieve the second condition you will have automatically achieved the first given your 83% at AS. You might therefore be best advised to focus on your A2s.

Thank you for explaining that! I had a look online after someone else mentioned it and have only just realised that's how it works 😂 Phew
Original post by Frenchspanish101
Thank you for explaining that! I had a look online after someone else mentioned it and have only just realised that's how it works 😂 Phew

Relief!

BTW I initially recommended you ask the Peterhouse AT about Cambridge, but I edited it out after I saw you found that thread already. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending