The Student Room Group

Are my University choices even realistic?

I hope to study Law.

I'm going to apply to:

Kings, UCL, Durham - A*AA (LLB)
LSE - AAB (Anthro with Law)
Manchester - ABB (LLB)

My personal statement is good (I have work experience, extra-curricular activities at sixth form, etc)

BUT my GCSES: 3A*3A5B1C
AND my AS-levels: ABBCC

Horrendous, I know. But I should get predicted A*AA (which is one grade higher than my AS so isn't too far-fetched). However, I will obviously still be judged on my AS grades. Will they hinder my application entirely?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Punkrockfan
I hope to study Law.

I was going to apply to Kings, UCL, Manchester, Nottingham and Durham but now I'm not so sure.

My personal statement is good (I have work experience, extra-curriculars at sixth form, etc)

Horrendous, I know. But I should get predicted A*AA (which is the entry requirement for all of them). However, I will obviously still be judged on my AS grades. Will they hinder my application entirely?

Should I apply for other universities and forget the ones I mentioned?

If these unis ask to see or have mentioned your AS grades will influence their decision then you should probably think twice at applying to ALL those unis. I mean, you can't seriously be applying to all 5 unis that are asking you for the same entry requirements? I'm pretty sure that is a stupid idea.... And your school is definitely not allow you to do that.

Nothing or noone should have guaranteed you A*AA so I don't know where that's come from. Your teachers might predict you ABB or even BBB. What will you do then?

You need to be a lot more wiser and smarter about your results and which unis you should apply to. It's a general rule to apply to a top uni, then 2 realistic ones and then 2 unexpected unis just in case. As your chances are looking real slim if you want to apply to all 5 unis that want A*AA
I hope to study Law.

I was going to apply to Kings, UCL, Manchester, Nottingham and Durham but now I'm not so sure.

My personal statement is good (I have work experience, extra-curriculars at sixth form, etc)

Horrendous, I know. But I should get predicted A*AA (which is the entry requirement for all of them). However, I will obviously still be judged on my AS grades. Will they hinder my application entirely?

Dude you can turn it around, if these universities look at your AS scores then obviously it may be worth considering a rethink . However, if they don't, then realize you have the potential to get A*AA, knuckle down and nail it.

Good luck and don't put yourself down, you will often get people on here (and I say this as an employee of TSR!) who belittle anything lower than AAA, you did well and small improvements will get you to where you want to be.
Reply 3
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
If these unis ask to see or have mentioned your AS grades will influence their decision then you should probably think twice at applying to ALL those unis. I mean, you can't seriously be applying to all 5 unis that are asking you for the same entry requirements? I'm pretty sure that is a stupid idea.... And your school is definitely not allow you to do that.

Nothing or noone should have guaranteed you A*AA so I don't know where that's come from. Your teachers might predict you ABB or even BBB. What will you do then?

You need to be a lot more wiser and smarter about your results and which unis you should apply to. It's a general rule to apply to a top uni, then 2 realistic ones and then 2 unexpected unis just in case. As your chances are looking real slim if you want to apply to all 5 unis that want A*AA

Thank you for being honest! I'll have a look some more now. And I thought you have to "declare" everything on UCAS? or do certain Unis not ask for it?

As for predicted grades for A2, I thought it's usually 1 grade higher than your AS grade? And to get a prediction of BBB seems a bit of a stretch does it not? I have an A in AS, rather odd/unfair to predict lower?

And how is a 'top' uni determined? By its entry requirement or ranking? Are mine all 'top'? Are Manchester and Nottingham somewhat realistic?

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm arguing, I'm just frustrated at myself.

Thank you!!
Reply 4
Original post by Paulwyn
Dude you can turn it around, if these universities look at your AS scores then obviously it may be worth considering a rethink . However, if they don't, then realize you have the potential to get A*AA, knuckle down and nail it.

Good luck and don't put yourself down, you will often get people on here (and I say this as an employee of TSR!) who belittle anything lower than AAA, you did well and small improvements will get you to where you want to be.

Thank you, you're much more hopeful than I.

And I thought EVERY university sees your AS grades since you enter them on UCAS?

I will definitely work much harder this year! Thank you:smile:
Thank you for being honest! I'll have a look some more now. And I thought you have to "declare" everything on UCAS? or do certain Unis not ask for it?

As for predicted grades for A2, I thought it's usually 1 grade higher than your AS grade? And to get a prediction of BBB seems a bit of a stretch does it not? I have an A in AS, rather odd/unfair to predict lower?

And how is a 'top' uni determined? By its entry requirement or ranking? Are mine all 'top'? Are Manchester and Nottingham somewhat realistic?

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm arguing, I'm just frustrated at myself.

Thank you!!

Top university is now a bit of a misnomer, there is a lot of unnecessary love for 'Russell Group' brand, however, there are universities that some perceive as not 'top' universities taat far, far better than many RG uni's...notably Aston, UEA and Loughborough, Surrey who are all above Manchester in the Guardian tables (with Surrey and Lboro even above Durham)
Reply 6
Original post by Paulwyn
Top university is now a bit of a misnomer, there is a lot of unnecessary love for 'Russell Group' brand, however, there are universities that some perceive as not 'top' universities taat far, far better than many RG uni's...notably Aston, UEA and Loughborough, Surrey who are all above Manchester in the Guardian tables (with Surrey and Lboro even above Durham)

I see and while that may be true, Law firms don't recruit heavily from there. It's hard enough to get a TC as it is, so I need somewhere that has a good reputation for law. I know I probably sound like an idiot since I should've tried harder this year with my grades but I don't see the point in studying somewhere and spending years after struggling to get a tc
Reply 7
Original post by Paulwyn

Loughborough doesn't actually offer law
4 of your universities want A*AA and 1 wants AAA.

That's way too high risk, especially considering your AS grades. There's a good chance you won't get any offers. You need to adjust your sights a bit.

Remember, even if you get offers, how sure are you that you will be able to meet AAA minimum to get into your insurance? Because if you miss it you're not going to university. That's if you even get an insurance offer.

If your school falls in this list (http://www.bristol.ac.uk/media-library/sites/study/undergraduate/documents/contextual-offer-schools-2017.pdf) Bristol will give you an offer of AAB instead of the typical AAA.

The University of Liverpool's entry requirements are ABB.

Consider some other universities and narrow down your choice of A*AA universities to 2 max.
Reply 9
Original post by Abstract_Prism
4 of your universities want A*AA and 1 wants AAA.

That's way too high risk, especially considering your AS grades. There's a good chance you won't get any offers. You need to adjust your sights a bit.

Remember, even if you get offers, how sure are you that you will be able to meet AAA minimum to get into your insurance? Because if you miss it you're not going to university. That's if you even get an insurance offer.

If your school falls in this list (http://www.bristol.ac.uk/media-library/sites/study/undergraduate/documents/contextual-offer-schools-2017.pdf) Bristol will give you an offer of AAB instead of the typical AAA.

The University of Liverpool's entry requirements are ABB.

Consider some other universities and narrow down your choice of A*AA universities to 2 max.

Yes, I definitely understand everything you said but I can't imagine studying somewhere else.

And to be completely honest, I don't mind taking a gap year if I have to and apply with my A2 grades. It'll be disheartening to get rejections but I am sort of expecting them so ye. I'm applying IN CASE somewhere do accept me but I am ready and totally willing to take a year out.

And I now know why I got the grades I did and how to avoid doing the same thing next June. I have spent the last month going over last year's notes and rewriting them and will be sitting tests on the modules I'm resitting before end of half term to see which areas I'm weakest at. I've spoken to my teachers and they're all confident I can do well.

Thank you for your response and I definitely appreciate it but I made my decision to apply regardless weeks ago. :biggrin:
Yes, I definitely understand everything you said but I can't imagine studying somewhere else.

And to be completely honest, I don't mind taking a gap year if I have to and apply with my A2 grades. It'll be disheartening to get rejections but I am sort of expecting them so ye. I'm applying IN CASE somewhere do accept me but I am ready and totally willing to take a year out.

And I now know why I got the grades I did and how to avoid doing the same thing next June. I have spent the last month going over last year's notes and rewriting them and will be sitting tests on the modules I'm resitting before end of half term to see which areas I'm weakest at. I've spoken to my teachers and they're all confident I can do well.

Thank you for your response and I definitely appreciate it but I made my decision to apply regardless weeks ago. :biggrin:

I would actually do the same thing as you're doing now if you're so happy to go on a gap year and really aren't fussed about going to uni next year; you might as well aim as high as you can since you don't really care if you don't get offers. But if you end up not going to uni next year, that's where you're going to have to change your strategy. By then you'll have your A2 grades and if they're not A*AA you'll be forced to consider other universities. And you'll need to be more willing to consider 'lesser' universities because if you aim too high again, you could be left without a university place for the second year in a row.
I hope to study Law.

I would apply to 2/3 needing those grades then two easy choices like AAB/ABB. I think it would be a huge risk if you either miss the grades or don't get offers from any of them. :biggrin:
When I applied to uni the general rule our school gave us was to choose 1/2 universities who wanted grades higher than our predictions, 2/3 who wanted the grades we predicted and one that wanted lower grades that would be our insurance. Following this would be really helpful to you as you're not risking all 5 places on unis that all want the same grades. It puts you in a great position in the case that those unis don't accept you, you still have decent unis to fall back on. It's better to be realistic because if you don't get any offer from any uni that could really demotivate you and hinder your grades so you couldn't even get into a good uni at clearing.

Remember its not just grades that matter, the LNAT plays a big role and some of these unis do interviews. I have a friend who got 3 As and a B at AS and only got one offer out of the 5. Applying to all unis with high entry requirements would put you at an even greater disadvantage to other applicants because of your AS grades. Best to stick with the rule I mentioned above :smile:
I would actually do the same thing as you're doing now if you're so happy to go on a gap year and really aren't fussed about going to uni next year; you might as well aim as high as you can since you don't really care if you don't get offers. But if you end up not going to uni next year, that's where you're going to have to change your strategy. By then you'll have your A2 grades and if they're not A*AA you'll be forced to consider other universities. And you'll need to be more willing to consider 'lesser' universities because if you aim too high again, you could be left without a university place for the second year in a row.

I see where you're coming from and its making me quite nervous (reality check, thank you!).

If I don't get A*AA, I would look at other places. I'm on a programme at manchester which lets me get an offer two grades below entry requirement (from AAA to ABB) so of course if I do badly, I'll just go to manchester (hopefully i dont get lower than abb).

So whilst I dont want to go manchester, i wouldnt mind since i know its great school.

Again, thank you!!
Original post by Hayley Williams
I would apply to 2/3 needing those grades then two easy choices like AAB/ABB. I think it would be a huge risk if you either miss the grades or don't get offers from any of them. :biggrin:

Well, manchester is ABB since i'm on a programme which allows me to get an offer two grades below.
And a course at lse which is AAB (i know people applying will have A*AA+ but hey, you never know).

And yes, but I don't mind not getting offers, as long as I get the grades because if I have to resit, I wont be able to GO to any of these places as many of them don't accept resits/doing a levels in 3 years.

Thanks for the response!:smile:
Original post by imjustnotnormal
When I applied to uni the general rule our school gave us was to choose 1/2 universities who wanted grades higher than our predictions, 2/3 who wanted the grades we predicted and one that wanted lower grades that would be our insurance. Following this would be really helpful to you as you're not risking all 5 places on unis that all want the same grades. It puts you in a great position in the case that those unis don't accept you, you still have decent unis to fall back on. It's better to be realistic because if you don't get any offer from any uni that could really demotivate you and hinder your grades so you couldn't even get into a good uni at clearing.

Remember its not just grades that matter, the LNAT plays a big role and some of these unis do interviews. I have a friend who got 3 As and a B at AS and only got one offer out of the 5. Applying to all unis with high entry requirements would put you at an even greater disadvantage to other applicants because of your AS grades. Best to stick with the rule I mentioned above :smile:

Doesn't applying to universities with a higher entry requirement than your prediction result in an automatic rejection?

But yes, the approach makes sense.

And yes, i've been revising the LNAT and I suppose I'll tackle interview techniques IF I get that far. And wow, please tell me your friend was appyling to medicine and not law because thats quite scary:0

Anyway, thanks for the advice!:biggrin:
Doesn't applying to universities with a higher entry requirement than your prediction result in an automatic rejection?

But yes, the approach makes sense.

And yes, i've been revising the LNAT and I suppose I'll tackle interview techniques IF I get that far. And wow, please tell me your friend was appyling to medicine and not law because thats quite scary:0

Anyway, thanks for the advice!:biggrin:

It's not always an automatic rejection if you have a great personal statement and in your case a good LNAT score, so really focus on perfecting those!

My friend was applying to Law but one major mistake he made was withdrawing from his last choice when they offered him an interview because it was at 9 am and the uni was on the other side of the country and it was his last choice anyway. So make sure when you apply that you're able and willing to go to all the universities you've chosen, every single choice counts.

No problem and good luck :smile:
Original post by imjustnotnormal
It's not always an automatic rejection if you have a great personal statement and in your case a good LNAT score, so really focus on perfecting those!

My friend was applying to Law but one major mistake he made was withdrawing from his last choice when they offered him an interview because it was at 9 am and the uni was on the other side of the country and it was his last choice anyway. So make sure when you apply that you're able and willing to go to all the universities you've chosen, every single choice counts.

No problem and good luck :smile:

Woa, I didn't know that!!

And damn, quite unlucky. And precisely! I don't think applying to universitues I don't want to study at just because they have a lower entry requirement makes sense because, like your friend, I will withdraw my application.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your knowledge!!:biggrin: much appreciated.
Your choices are much more sensible now that you have one with AAB and one with ABB.
Your choices are much more sensible now that you have one with AAB and one with ABB.

Hahah, thank you!!:h:

Quick Reply

Latest