Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Some questions about University - Would like some advice from another perspective

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad course - waste of time? 17-10-2016

So I applied for a gap year in Coventry University back in January just using it as a backup option as I initially intended to go for an apprenticeship. I've actually been really stressed out these past few months about which way I want to go. I began to think that an apprenticeship is the right way to go. Especially with all these people saying "you should do this" "you should do that" Its horrible. It confuses me and just adds stress. My mum has been constantly saying go to uni go to uni etc the past few weeks and I've just avoided answering because in all honesty

I've not wanted to do either. But I've decided I'll just have to go to University I guess. But as I said, I applied for a gap year. So this made me think a gap year might be a good choice. The reason for this is because I'll have a chance to make some money first by getting a job (bank account is currently empty), I can learn how to drive as it would cut just over an hour off travelling so that saves a bunch of time. I can also lose some weight in the year (just joined the gym) as I feel like socially especially, my uni experience might be better If I feel healthier and slimmer.

Now when I told this to my mum she went pretty crazy. Told me a gap year is a stupid idea. I got pretty angry and just went out and haven't spoken to her since. Is she right? Am I in the wrong and making a bad choice? hearing another point of view would be helpful on my understanding of the whole subject. And if you have any questions I'm happy to answer them.

Thanks for your time.

It depends what you plan on doing during your gap year. Sitting around and doing nothing, is a waste of time. However, maybe working and saving up (so you have enough money to live on) isn't a waste of time.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you want to know what your pet is thinking about you?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.