Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

How to become a teaching assistant?

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    Hi guys

    I would like to become a teaching assistant within music production

    I just graduated from university with a 2:2 overall within my BA (Hons) Audio and Music production.

    Would I still need to take a teaching assistant course to Go down this specific career path?

    Thanks for your help in advance

    Do you mean in a school? There's plenty of information online which a quick Google search brings up. You'll also have access to your uni careers service for a while.

    There aren't any qualification requirements for TA positions; the schools get to decide for themselves what they're looking for. The best thing to do would be to have a look at previous vacancies and seeing what the school/agency asked for. A teaching agency might be able to give you some further advice on this too. Doing some voluntary work might be necessary to show commitment and gain some experience of working with children if you don't have any.

    A teaching assistant specifically in music would be difficult to find. You usually support an array of students across the school or follow a statemented student to their classes.

    If you only want to work in music you could apply for technician roles within schools.

    You can get into TA work by simply applying for Level 1 positions. Read around safeguarding, SEN/EAL and behaviour strategies and you can easily wing an interview.

    Colleges will offer NVQ/Level 2 qualifications, it's just finding them and funding them.

    Why teaching assistant? It's a low paid position and you'll have to return to do a Level 2 qualification when you've just completed a level 6 qualification - you could apply for a PGCE, earn much more, have much more control in the classroom, and teach something you're interested in.
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Cats: Yay or nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.