The Student Room Group

Should I drop Maths at A2?

I've just got my AS results and I got an A in Music (avg 96/100 ums) and a B in Maths (avg 75/100 ums).

I'm applying for medicine and really enjoy chem, bio and music, but not maths so much, so I was wandering if it would be ok to drop it now?

I really want to nail my 3 A levels rather than get an ok score for 4 of them, and I know it's gonna just get harder next year. I don't particularly enjoy maths so that doesn't really help either. Also it makes no difference for med schools what your 3rd A level is so it doesn't matter that it's music not maths?

My breakdown was C1 68/100 (C), C2 77/100 (B), M1 79/100 (B) quite frustrating

I am predicted A*AAA

Any advice I would really appreciate x
Original post by musicalmedic
I've just got my AS results and I got an A in Music (avg 96/100 ums) and a B in Maths (avg 75/100 ums).

I'm applying for medicine and really enjoy chem, bio and music, but not maths so much, so I was wandering if it would be ok to drop it now?

I really want to nail my 3 A levels rather than get an ok score for 4 of them, and I know it's gonna just get harder next year. I don't particularly enjoy maths so that doesn't really help either. Also it makes no difference for med schools what your 3rd A level is so it doesn't matter that it's music not maths?

Yes I would say drop maths. It is necessary for medicine

I am predicted A*AAA

I would say no, resit C1 and just try better next year, you can still definately get an A. Maths is needed in medicine, thats also important to consider. If anything, unfortunately music would be the one to drop if you are struggling with 4 since chem,bio and maths are pretty much a must for medicine.
Original post by Apolexian
I would say no, resit C1 and just try better next year, you can still definately get an A. Maths is needed in medicine, thats also important to consider. If anything, unfortunately music would be the one to drop if you are struggling with 4 since chem,bio and maths are pretty much a must for medicine.

Ok thanks but no unis actually require maths for A level (apart from Cambridge and I'm not applying there)?
Ok thanks but no unis actually require maths for A level (apart from Cambridge and I'm not applying there)?

They may not require it but you are still going to be using it on your course. In addition maths is just a more solid subject imo for medicine when compared with music, it just fits more. Honestly, your grades are not even half bad. Believe me, after doing c3/c4 c1 will be a piece of cake, just resit it, plus this years paper was pretty hard( i did it myself). Considering your other modules were only 4 ums off an A, you would not need that much to push it to an A. And your music is excellent, so, again imo, only consider dropping something if you are really struggling because as far as it looks, you are doing fine.
Reply 5

MATHS IS NOT NEEDED AND IS NOT A MUST FOR MEDICINE OTHER THAN CAMBRIDGE

You've answered your own question. They don't require maths so if you want to, drop it.

I am predicted A*AAA

Well done for your results! There's is literally no benefit to taking maths unless you want to apply to Cambridge. You should take music if that's what you want to take and it seems sensible seeing as you did much better. Some universities (e.g. UCL) look favourably on candidates who haven't done straight science subjects. If you're going to nail music that's definitely the one to go with!
Reply 7
Really well done on your results!

Drop maths - that's fine.

Maths is needed in medicine, thats also important to consider.

No - it's not.

They may not require it but you are still going to be using it on your course.

Not really!

:nah: Not really.
Original post by JayAhm
MATHS IS NOT NEEDED AND IS NOT A MUST FOR MEDICINE OTHER THAN CAMBRIDGE

You've answered your own question. They don't require maths so if you want to, drop it.

Yeah I thought so haha
Original post by violin101
Well done for your results! There's is literally no benefit to taking maths unless you want to apply to Cambridge. You should take music if that's what you want to take and it seems sensible seeing as you did much better. Some universities (e.g. UCL) look favourably on candidates who haven't done straight science subjects. If you're going to nail music that's definitely the one to go with!

Thank you! also would you happen to know whether the A* prediction for UCL has to be for bio or chem because they don't specify and mine is in music..
Reply 11
Thank you! also would you happen to know whether the A* prediction for UCL has to be for bio or chem because they don't specify and mine is in music..

If they don't specify then it doesn't matter - contact them to be sure. UCL prefer a contrasting 3rd subject so quids in for you!

I am predicted A*AAA

100% drop maths and do the subject you enjoy more and do better in! you need AAA and if music is going to get you there 100% do music.

MATHS IS NOT NEEDED FOR MEDICINE!
(im going to embolden this for all the world to see, dont know why people still think this!!)

They may not require it but you are still going to be using it on your course. In addition maths is just a more solid subject imo for medicine when compared with music, it just fits more. Honestly, your grades are not even half bad. Believe me, after doing c3/c4 c1 will be a piece of cake, just resit it, plus this years paper was pretty hard( i did it myself). Considering your other modules were only 4 ums off an A, you would not need that much to push it to an A. And your music is excellent, so, again imo, only consider dropping something if you are really struggling because as far as it looks, you are doing fine.

any subject is a sold rigorous academic subject, this is just not true, I have used basic GCSE grade B level maths so far on my course. My AS level in maths has not helped me at all.
Original post by Natalierm2707
100% drop maths and do the subject you enjoy more and do better in! you need AAA and if music is going to get you there 100% do music.

MATHS IS NOT NEEDED FOR MEDICINE!
(im going to embolden this for all the world to see, dont know why people still think this!!)

any subject is a sold rigorous academic subject, this is just not true, I have used basic GCSE grade B level maths so far on my course. My AS level in maths has not helped me at all.

Ahaha thank you for highlighting this
My problem now is that my parents won't let me drop Maths becase they think doing 3 subjects is too easy ARGH they're Eastern European so didn't go through this education system etc and they always thought the UK is too easy yet they tell me that too much pressure is put on us with exams etc? I'm having a hard time making them see my side - any advice?
Reply 15
My problem now is that my parents won't let me drop Maths becase they think doing 3 subjects is too easy ARGH they're Eastern European so didn't go through this education system etc and they always thought the UK is too easy yet they tell me that too much pressure is put on us with exams etc? I'm having a hard time making them see my side - any advice?

Parents! Don't argue with em or get frustrated. Sit down with em and talk about med school applications with them. Show them the entry requirements and forums. Make them understand that you could take 10 A levels and it doesn't make a difference or provide any advantage to your application.

Might be a good idea to email a few of the med schools asking them to confirm that they only require 3 Alevels and don't look at any additionals. Print these and show your parents.

Explain that all you need is 3A's. By taking more, you're spreading yourself thin and it could make your grades suffer and lose you a place at med school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JayAhm
Parents! Don't argue with em or get frustrated. Sit down with em and talk about med school applications with them. Show them the entry requirements and forums. Make them understand that you could take 10 A levels and it doesn't make a difference or provide any advantage to your application.

Might be a good idea to email a few of the med schools asking them to confirm that they only require 3 Alevels and don't look at any additionals. Print these and show your parents.

Explain that all you need is 3A's. By taking more, you're spreading yourself thin and it could make your grades suffer and lose you a place at med school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you I'll do my best!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending