The Student Room Group

Really bad AS results, what should I do?

Just had my as results and got
A-French
B- Spanish
E-biology and chemistry
D- maths
I really wanted to do medicine and now that I have these grades I don't know what to do. I don't want to resit the year, I'm planning to resit everything in June but I don't know if it's a good idea. And I want to know if some universities will still offer me a place
Please someone help me
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Dadadoutchi
A-French
B- Spanish
E-biology and chemistry
D- maths
I really wanted to do medicine and now that I have these grades I don't know what to do. I don't want to resist the year, I'm planning to resist everything in June but I don't know if it's a good idea. And I want to know if some university will still offer me a place
Please someone help me

I'm going to move this to medicine for you, but i think taking a gap year after a2's could be your best option.
Reply 2
A-French
B- Spanish
E-biology and chemistry
D- maths
I really wanted to do medicine and now that I have these grades I don't know what to do. I don't want to resist the year, I'm planning to resist everything in June but I don't know if it's a good idea. And I want to know if some university will still offer me a place
Please someone help me

Hi there. I am sorry you feel bad about your AS results.

What would your predicted grades be?

I think the best thing for you to do is to work really hard and manage to get AAA achieved grades, and then apply after you have achieved your grades (i.e. take a gap year). I think it's unlikely your teachers would predict you AAA - and this is what is needed. Don't be too downhearted though - every year plenty of people are in a similar position.
Reply 3
I was predicted A/B and I got these results, I still can't believe it. So you think I should try my best, get get A's in a level, then take a gap year doing work experience and apply after? That would be the best?
Reply 4
I was predicted A/B and I got these results, I still can't believe it. So you think I should try my best, get get A's in a level, then take a gap year doing work experience and apply after? That would be the best?

Yes - that is probably the best thing to do. You can spend your gap year getting loads of work experience and long-term voluntary work, as well as have an awesome time doing some travelling. Also gives you some time to do some work and save up some money for uni. It also means when you get interviews - you'll have loads of time off to practice. So don't be too downhearted. :smile:
A-French
B- Spanish
E-biology and chemistry
D- maths
I really wanted to do medicine and now that I have these grades I don't know what to do. I don't want to resit the year, I'm planning to resit everything in June but I don't know if it's a good idea. And I want to know if some universities will still offer me a place
Please someone help me

From these results you could probably be predicted A*ADDC at a max, and this isnt going to cut it for medicine 2017 entry im afraid.

If I were you I would resit some modules, focus hard for A2 and get AAA and then apply during a gap year for medicine.
Reply 6
Original post by Beska
Yes - that is probably the best thing to do. You can spend your gap year getting loads of work experience and long-term voluntary work, as well as have an awesome time doing some travelling. Also gives you some time to do some work and save up some money for uni. It also means when you get interviews - you'll have loads of time off to practice. So don't be too downhearted. :smile:

Okay, thank you for your advices! Also I wanted to know, after year 13 if I get really good results and then do my gap year were I'd do work experiences, how am I supposed to get predicted my grades? And would I have to wait until August to know if I have a place even if I already did my A levels?
Reply 7
Okay, thank you for your advices! Also I wanted to know, after year 13 if I get really good results and then do my gap year were I'd do work experiences, how am I supposed to get predicted my grades? And would I have to wait until August to know if I have a place even if I already did my A levels?

You don't get predicted grades - because you have no pending A-Levels (you put your achieved grades on UCAS). You still need a reference from your school, but you upload this yourself. You don't need to wait until results day if you have your grades - in that case, if you are interviewed and receive an offer it would be 'unconditional' - I.e. guaranteed a place because you have your grades. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending