Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Help!! Durham or Newcastle for Geography!!

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 11-10-2016

Hi,I just received my AS results ofA- GeographyA- SociologyB- English LanguageB- Government and Politics I'm hoping to apply for a BA Geography course for 2017/18 entry. I have my sights set on either Newcastle or Durham however I will also be applying to Manchester, Leeds and Liverpool.I would need A*AA for Durham and AAB for Newcastle. Having been to open days I really enjoyed both Newcastle and Durham for completely different reasons. I absolutely love the traditional vibe of Durham and I think the college system is a really good idea (I would be applying to Hatfield). However, I am worried about the ability for me to get a job as I was hoping I would be able to get a job within the SU or local bars but these seemed slightly disappointing in Durham. On the other hand, I love the social side of Newcastle and the accommodation as well. To be honest, I completely fell in love with the he city. I feel as though it would be easier for me to get a job in somewhere like Newcastle as opposed to Durham. I love both courses equally which makes my decision even harder, even though clearly the Durham course if more highly rated. This does matter to me in a way as I hope to eventually apply for a graduate GDL scheme which is extremely competitive with graduates of all disciplines.So, I have a few questions for whoever may be able to give me some answers?1. Is it possible to get in/is it even worth me applying to Durham with these AS grades?2. Is it hard to find a job in Durham?3. Is Newcastle still a highly rated uni among employers?4. Where should I go?!?!?🤔Thanks in Advance

First of all, I'd suggest leaving the decisions of which uni you'll choose as firm/insurance until you get your offers! You seem to have decided on the five to put on your UCAS form, so that's great for now.

1) I'd definitely recommend having one 'reach' choice where you'd almost be surprised if you did get in, but would love to go to. Durham sounds a little like this from what you'd said. Then the others you'd probably expect to get into given your grades; it makes for a good balance.

If you only apply to places you know you'll get into, you could underestimate yourself. You never know what the admissions tutors will see in you.

2) I'm at Durham at the moment. Of my friends, several of us work in college bars (though it is competitive), a couple work in shops in Durham and a couple more work in shops in Newcastle. Just looking at the uni jobs portal I can see a few customer service jobs open.

That being said, it is a relatively small city. There are fewer jobs around, but also a smaller population.

3) Yes, it's a very good uni.

4) Decide once you actually have offers and, preferably, have visited your top choices.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.