The Student Room Group

Do bilinguals think in their weaker language?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by momoneyme89
What is your mother tongue? Can you think in any other languages?

I used to be able to think in a third language, (well actually I was fluent in a second before I even started learning English, which is technically only my third, but by now my most comfortable) but I have almost wholly forgotten that.

What does it matter what my mother tongue is, lol?
So then is your Romanian or English stronger?

Well Romanian is still my native language and I use it everyday in various contexts, so I'd say it's stronger, but the margin is not that big.
Original post by inhuman
I used to be able to think in a third language, (well actually I was fluent in a second before I even started learning English, which is technically only my third, but by now my most comfortable) but I have almost wholly forgotten that.

What does it matter what my mother tongue is, lol?

Dunno, just so I don't have to call it "mother tongue" lol.

So you can think in 2 languages?
Original post by maracatinca
Well Romanian is still my native language and I use it everyday in various contexts, so I'd say it's stronger, but the margin is not that big.

Can you think in Romanian?
Can you think in Romanian?

Lol obviously, it's what I suggested even in my first post here, but I'm sorry if I wasn't clear
Original post by maracatinca
Lol obviously, it's what I suggested even in my first post here, but I'm sorry if I wasn't clear

And I'm guessing you can think in English as well, given how perfect you write in English. Can you think in any other languages?
And I'm guessing you can think in English as well, given how perfect you write in English. Can you think in any other languages?

When I was preparing for my language exam in German I found myself thinking in it sometimes, though it happens far less often nowadays. I also watch a lot of Korean shows and help translate some, so after a couple hours of translating/watching I also find myself having some thoughts in Korean. Now I don't know how healthy that is, but I don't mind it :laugh:
I can, but I have to force myself to, as in consciously force my native language in my head otherwise english will dominate.
Reply 48
I think in whatever language I'm speaking in, since sentence formation differs in each. Makes no difference in how good I am in them
Original post by InadequateJusticex
I can, but I have to force myself to, as in consciously force my native language in my head otherwise english will dominate.

what is your native language?
what is your native language?

Tagalog
Tagalog

Can you think in Tagalog?
I try to, but it's not always easy.
Can you think in Tagalog?

Yeah, but it's not a language I use daily (nor weekly) so I can't think in it as fast as I can in English ha
Yeah, but it's not a language I use daily (nor weekly) so I can't think in it as fast as I can in English ha

So you can think in Tagalog and English, no other languages, right?
Reply 55
I am trilingual and I don't think in German anymore.
Original post by saran23
I am trilingual and I don't think in German anymore.

What languages can you think in?
I can speak English and Armenian (English is stronger) and I will pretty much always think in English. I can think in Armenian but it rarely just happens naturally if I'm not actively trying to do it. In terms of actually speaking, the conversations in my house are a weird mixture of saying something in one language and then replying with another and occasionally replacing a word with the other language version mid-sentence.
Reply 58
What languages can you think in?

English and Tamil.
Original post by saran23
English and Tamil.

Can you think in any other languages?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending