The Student Room Group

Is it too late to apply for Uni?

This is probably a cut and dry answer but I finished the first year of my BTEC 90 credit diploma in June, I finished with a DD overall which gives me about 180 UCAS points.

I've looked around and there are Unis that would accept me in to a foundation year course, but my guess is I'm far too late now to apply? I've not applied anywhere, not been signed up to UCAS or anything like that, I'm just wondering if despite it being last minute is it at all possible?
Reply 1
Original post by JKThomas96
This is probably a cut and dry answer but I finished the first year of my BTEC 90 credit diploma in June, I finished with a DD overall which gives me about 180 UCAS points.

I've looked around and there are Unis that would accept me in to a foundation year course, but my guess is I'm far too late now to apply? I've not applied anywhere, not been signed up to UCAS or anything like that, I'm just wondering if despite it being last minute is it at all possible?
Yes, it is possible. You can start by contacting unis that interest to see whether they would consider you using the Record of Prior Acceptance route - this means that you would not have to complete at UCAS application. If the unis you're interested in won't use the RPA route, you will have to complete an application but if your choices don't insist on a reference at this stage you can leave that section blank, likewise the PS if the unis are happy.

Hi :smile:Our clearing lines are open until 8pm! Here is a liost of our courses http://www.kingston.ac.uk/courses/find-a-course/undergraduate/a-z/a/?entryyearid=4 and out hotline clearing number is
0800 0483 334 where someone will be happy to help you :biggrin:

Emily
Student ambassador
Reply 3
Original post by Minerva
Yes, it is possible. You can start by contacting unis that interest to see whether they would consider you using the Record of Prior Acceptance route - this means that you would not have to complete at UCAS application. If the unis you're interested in won't use the RPA route, you will have to complete an application but if your choices don't insist on a reference at this stage you can leave that section blank, likewise the PS if the unis are happy.

Thanks for the quick response. So if I get in touch with Uni's and explain that I've never applied through UCAS, I could possibly still get in? Despite no accommodation or funding being sorted by now? How likely would you say Unis are to accept the RPA route?

I currently live in Swansea, South Wales and have 5 GCSE's (both english and math) and a Level 2 IT qualification, and a DD in a 90 credit diplopma.
Thanks for the quick response. So if I get in touch with Uni's and explain that I've never applied through UCAS, I could possibly still get in? Despite no accommodation or funding being sorted by now? How likely would you say Unis are to accept the RPA route?

I currently live in Swansea, South Wales and have 5 GCSE's (both english and math) and a Level 2 IT qualification, and a DD in a 90 credit diplopma.

You can sign up for UCAS now, and as for accommodation if you get a place and Kingston today or tomorrow via clearing you are guaranteed accommodation :smile: Our hotline team will be able to answer all you questions
0800 0483 334

Emily
Student ambassador
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5

You won't know until you ask - so contact the unis you are interested in as soon as possible. Funding can be arranged but you are not likely to have the funds before term gets underway, so you will need to consider if you have enough money of your own to tide you over (biggest cost will be accommodation - policies on this vary from uni to uni so it's an important question to ask when you ring).

Hi,

We have foundation year's for most of our courses: www.derby.ac.uk/clearing/. Our Clearing hotline is open until 8pm and our advisors will talk you through it all. Call 01332 592016. Good luck!
Regards,
Louise
Reply 7
Original post by Kingston University
You can sign up for UCAS now, and as for accommodation if you get a place and Kingston today or tomorrow via clearing you are guaranteed accommodation :smile: Our hotline team will be able to answer all you questions
0800 0483 334

Emily
Student ambassador

Thanks for the reply, what time is your hotline open until tonight?
Thanks for the reply, what time is your hotline open until tonight?

Until 8pm so still 3 hours to go! It is open 8:30am- 6:30pm tomorrow as well but I would call ASAP

Emily
Student ambassador
Reply 9
Original post by Kingston University
Until 8pm so still 3 hours to go! It is open 8:30am- 6:30pm tomorrow as well but I would call ASAP

Emily
Student ambassador

I dont finish work until 7 so I'll ring later. In the mean time I have just registered for UCAS and am slowly filling in the details, only problem I have no references I can enter nor do I have a personal statement, will this be a problem? I could type out a personal statement by tomorrow.
I dont finish work until 7 so I'll ring later. In the mean time I have just registered for UCAS and am slowly filling in the details, only problem I have no references I can enter nor do I have a personal statement, will this be a problem? I could type out a personal statement by tomorrow.

Hi,

Ring our advisers as soon as you can and the will be able to advise you on what to do. They can talk you through the process of applying through clearing.

Emily
Student ambassador

You can apply through clearing and the best way to do so is by phone as getting a reply via e-mail will take long. What are you thinking studying? If you want to study in London, I would suggest the University of East London as they have a lot of different courses available with a foundation year. I studied there so if you have any questions about the student life, ask away. Here's a list of all the courses they are offering through clearing and that have a foundation year https://www.uel.ac.uk/clearing/results?course=foundation&points= and then you can just call them up and I'm sure someone will be there to help you. Use this number 020 8223 3280 and good luck for whatever you decide to do!
Reply 12
Original post by waytotheend
You can apply through clearing and the best way to do so is by phone as getting a reply via e-mail will take long. What are you thinking studying? If you want to study in London, I would suggest the University of East London as they have a lot of different courses available with a foundation year. I studied there so if you have any questions about the student life, ask away. Here's a list of all the courses they are offering through clearing and that have a foundation year https://www.uel.ac.uk/clearing/results?course=foundation&points= and then you can just call them up and I'm sure someone will be there to help you. Use this number 020 8223 3280 and good luck for whatever you decide to do!

Thanks for the reply. I've applied for Middlesex Uni to do a Computer Networking foundation course, I was told I'll hear back within 2 hours and I sent it an hour ago so hopefully I'll hear something soon. Did you apply via UCAS or did you decide late on in the summer you wanted to go to Uni?

I've been told im guaranteed accommodation at Middlesex but I'm not sure what the next steps are if I do get accepted.
Reply 13

Is there a particular course you're interested in?
Reply 14
Original post by ffej.90
Is there a particular course you're interested in?

I'm currently on contact with Middlesex uni regarding a space on a Computer Networking foundation course
Thanks for the reply. I've applied for Middlesex Uni to do a Computer Networking foundation course, I was told I'll hear back within 2 hours and I sent it an hour ago so hopefully I'll hear something soon. Did you apply via UCAS or did you decide late on in the summer you wanted to go to Uni?

I've been told im guaranteed accommodation at Middlesex but I'm not sure what the next steps are if I do get accepted.

Thanks for the reply. I've applied for Middlesex Uni to do a Computer Networking foundation course, I was told I'll hear back within 2 hours and I sent it an hour ago so hopefully I'll hear something soon. Did you apply via UCAS or did you decide late on in the summer you wanted to go to Uni?I've been told im guaranteed accommodation at Middlesex but I'm not sure what the next steps are if I do get accepted.
I applied through UCAS but I didn't make my choice of Uni until late. I actually accepted my first choice and then ended up changing my mind and going to UEL instead. UEL has accomodation as well, all rooms are en-suite and you can even get your own studio flat, plus, the view is amazing as the campus is right opposite the London City Airport and you get a perfect view of Canary Wharf and the O2. The Computer course they offer is Computer Science and for the accommodation just go on uel.ac.uk in the accommodation section

I'm sure you can still apply to UCAS and contact universities if you want to apply through clearing. Check out University of East London, they have a lot of courses to choose from. I'm sure something will peak your interest. Whether you have to start with a foundation year depends on the course and your eligibility. Give them a call on 020 8223 3280 to speak to an adviser who can provide you with more information and help you decide. Hope this helps and all the best! :smile:

We still have lots of places on the following foundations courses:
Business
Engineering
Computing
Creative Enterprise
Sports Studies

Call our clearing hotlines to apply 0300 303 6300

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending