The Student Room Group

A level results not what I expected

So I got my A level results this morning which were incredibly disappointing and to be honest I was a bit shocked when I got two Cs and a D. I had been aiming for 3 As in order to apply for 2017 entry to study veterinary medicine, I am going to retake this year but I would still like to apply this year too, any chance anyone has got offers for veterinary medicine with low grades that they are retaking or do I just need to forget it and apply for a different course? Thanks in advance
Reply 1
Have you tried looking at perhaps foundation year degrees? I'm not too aware of veterinary medicine but some people I know have looked to foundation courses for their courses in biomedicine. Are you looking for ones in outer London or in London?
Hi there, I'm really sorry to hear that your results were not what you were hoping for.

Retaking year 12 is a good idea. Unfortunately however for your application this year you might struggle; it's very unlikely you'll get in with 'low grades'. Veterinary medicine is competitive, and grades is one of the first ways that universities can start whittling down the applicant pool. If you don't meet the minimum requirements then you won't even get an interview, sorry.

Usually teachers will predict you up to one grade above what you achieved at AS (so in this case BBC). Veterinary medicine requirements are around AAA (see here for all of them), and I think you would struggle to convince your teachers to predict you much higher.

The previous poster has mentioned foundation courses. Nottingham, the Royal Veterinary College and Bristol offer a six year 'Gateway' program with lower entry requirements, however there are other requirements to this such as having a low household income or no history of parental further education, so look into whether you would be eligible.

So, an application for 2017 is looking sketchy, however don't be put off. A few people in the veterinary medicine forum took A levels in three years, and another year will give you extra time to gather work experience to help your application stand out.

All the best :smile: Again sorry to hear that you didn't get the grades you wanted today but it's by no means the end of the road! :smile: I've just finished my first year of vet school so if you have any questions about applying/vet school in general do let me know :smile:
Original post by Ninaaaah
Have you tried looking at perhaps foundation year degrees? I'm not too aware of veterinary medicine but some people I know have looked to foundation courses for their courses in biomedicine. Are you looking for ones in outer London or in London?

I'm looking at anywhere really, yeah I've looked at veterinary foundation but unfortunately you need to be eligible for a contextual offer which doesn't apply to me but I will look at foundation courses in related subjects because they do seem to have quite good requirements, thanks for your help!
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Hi there, I'm really sorry to hear that your results were not what you were hoping for.

Retaking year 12 is a good idea. Unfortunately however for your application this year you might struggle; it's very unlikely you'll get in with 'low grades'. Veterinary medicine is competitive, and grades is one of the first ways that universities can start whittling down the applicant pool. If you don't meet the minimum requirements then you won't even get an interview, sorry.

Usually teachers will predict you up to one grade above what you achieved at AS (so in this case BBC). Veterinary medicine requirements are around AAA (see here for all of them), and I think you would struggle to convince your teachers to predict you much higher.

The previous poster has mentioned foundation courses. Nottingham, the Royal Veterinary College and Bristol offer a six year 'Gateway' program with lower entry requirements, however there are other requirements to this such as having a low household income or no history of parental further education, so look into whether you would be eligible.

So, an application for 2017 is looking sketchy, however don't be put off. A few people in the veterinary medicine forum took A levels in three years, and another year will give you extra time to gather work experience to help your application stand out.

All the best :smile: Again sorry to hear that you didn't get the grades you wanted today but it's by no means the end of the road! :smile: I've just finished my first year of vet school so if you have any questions about applying/vet school in general do let me know :smile:

Thanks very much for all your help! Reassuring to hear that a few people get in taking A levels in 3 years however I was really hoping to get in this time as it is year 13 I would be retaking so applying in a year would leave me starting two years late :s-smilie:! Do you know if there a chance vet could be available through adjustment next year if I do happen to make up the grades?
Original post by MiaCharlotte19
Thanks very much for all your help! Reassuring to hear that a few people get in taking A levels in 3 years however I was really hoping to get in this time as it is year 13 I would be retaking so applying in a year would leave me starting two years late :s-smilie:! Do you know if there a chance vet could be available through adjustment next year if I do happen to make up the grades?

It would only be a year later, wouldn't it? Either way, what's one or even two years in the grand scheme of things? A gap year or two would give you a chance to get a job to save up some funds for university :smile:

Unfortunately vet med places do not go into adjustment. Universities keep a waiting list and if there are any spaces available then they go to people who narrowly missed out on an offer after interview.
I am posting on behalf of my sister , she got her AS results today which were sociology A, Psychology B, Biology C and Chemistry D. She wants to do medicine she wants to apply for Brighton but is not sure if she will be offed a place with those grades. She is a bit upset with these results, Brighton asks for 3 A grades what should she do. Look at other universitys maybe or a different degree course
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
It would only be a year later, wouldn't it? Either way, what's one or even two years in the grand scheme of things? A gap year or two would give you a chance to get a job to save up some funds for university :smile:

Unfortunately vet med places do not go into adjustment. Universities keep a waiting list and if there are any spaces available then they go to people who narrowly missed out on an offer after interview.

Ah I see, yes it would be a year later but these were my A2s so applying for 2017 entry would mean I'm having a gap year anyway but you are right two years out may be a good option, it's only one more year! Thanks very much for being so helpful now I know I don't have to fully write off a vet career just yet!
Original post by the IT MAN
I am posting on behalf of my sister , she got her AS results today which were sociology A, Psychology B, Biology C and Chemistry D. She wants to do medicine she wants to apply for Brighton but is not sure if she will be offed a place with those grades. She is a bit upset with these results, Brighton asks for 3 A grades what should she do. Look at other universitys maybe or a different degree course

Hi there, you're probably better off starting your own thread about this, but to put it simply your sister can either retake year 12 entirely, or, since the AS results don't contribute to the overall grade in some subjects, continue to A2 and work hard to turn things around and improve next year. If she wants to apply for medicine she will need to convince her teachers to predict her high enough grades. Usually they'll predict one above AS achievement (so in this case A*BC assuming she drops psychology), so she'll need to speak to her teachers to discuss this, but if they will not predict higher then a better option may be to not apply this year, and apply next year with achieved grades.

Original post by MiaCharlotte19
Ah I see, yes it would be a year later but these were my A2s so applying for 2017 entry would mean I'm having a gap year anyway but you are right two years out may be a good option, it's only one more year! Thanks very much for being so helpful now I know I don't have to fully write off a vet career just yet!

No worries, glad I could help :smile: Best of luck with your application :smile:
Reply 9
I did a retake of a geography A-level this year in order to get a B to bring up my grade.
I think I messed up the paper to be honest, oh well :/
My grades last year were A*,B,B
Was hoping for A*,A,B but think thats out of the question now.
Just have to wait and see I guess :smile:

Latest