Bio: A
Physics: B
Chem:C
Maths: B

predicted grades are:

Bio:A
Physics:A
Chem:B
Maths:A (TEACHER INFORMED ME I WILL HAVE TO RETAKE C2)

Did UKCAT - Scored only average of 610
AR-570
VR-510
QR-750
SJ-Band 2

GCSE:
3A* Maths, double and triple science
7 A English language, Core science, History, ICT, English Literature Citizenship, Religious studies (short course)
2 B German and Business Studies

I've done voluntary work with a charity working with little kids ranging from 5-16 years of age for 2 years, i have done work experience at both a hospital and a GP. I have been in school cricket teams (2 years) and train people at the gym (8 months). Also i am employed with Boots Opticians, as an Optical Consultant, so work with patients ALOT!!!

Obviously, not amazing grades, and predicted grades are not too strong. But i still do want to apply to medicine, so was wondering about whether i have a genuine chance or not considering my average UKCAT score and also my grades not being too great, especially in chemistry.

so I wanted to ask first of all, can i drop chemistry with the C grade that i've attained and still do Medicine?

Also, is it possible to apply to medicine at all with all 4 subjects with those predicted grades?
Reply 1
Original post by darsh shah
Just got my As grades back and they are:

predicted grades are:

AR-570
VR-510
QR-750
SJ-Band 2

GCSE:
7 A English language, Core science, History, ICT, English Literature Citizenship, Religious studies (short course)

I've done voluntary work with a charity working with little kids ranging from 5-16 years of age for 2 years, i have done work experience at both a hospital and a GP. I have been in school cricket teams (2 years) and train people at the gym (8 months). Also i am employed with Boots Opticians, as an Optical Consultant, so work with patients ALOT!!!

Obviously, not amazing grades, and predicted grades are not too strong. But i still do want to apply to medicine, so was wondering about whether i have a genuine chance or not considering my average UKCAT score and also my grades not being too great, especially in chemistry.

so I wanted to ask first of all, can i drop chemistry with the C grade that i've attained and still do Medicine?

Also, is it possible to apply to medicine at all with all 4 subjects with those predicted grades?

Well done on your results!

Is it possible to get the chemistry up to a grade A? Really, I would suggest studying chemistry if its able to push up the prediction. Take a look at the page below to see if places accept AS chemistry at grade C.

It isn't the end of the world though - take a look at the A-Level requirements page here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15863-medical-school-a-level-requirement

The rest of your application is good. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Beska
Well done on your results!

Is it possible to get the chemistry up to a grade A? Really, I would suggest studying chemistry if its able to push up the prediction. Take a look at the page below to see if places accept AS chemistry at grade C.

It isn't the end of the world though - take a look at the A-Level requirements page here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15863-medical-school-a-level-requirement

The rest of your application is good. :smile:

Thank You I've checked but unfortunately, majority are asking for grade A or B if Chemistry is dropped, i have however, emailed the university's to enquire whether there is any hope.
Reply 3
Thank You I've checked but unfortunately, majority are asking for grade A or B if Chemistry is dropped, i have however, emailed the university's to enquire whether there is any hope.

You can't really drop Chemistry if you want to apply to medicine. It's pretty much a requirement for almost all medical schools and without it, you'd be limited in the schools you can apply to.

You would need to get a predicted A in chemistry to apply for 2017 entry.

My advice: Don't drop Chemistry. Work hard and get AAA at A2 next year - Chemistry at A2. Then if you didn't get an offer due to not having a predicted A for Chem, you could at least take a gap year and have the opportunity to apply to the med school of your choice.
Reply 4
Original post by JayAhm
You can't really drop Chemistry if you want to apply to medicine. It's pretty much a requirement for almost all medical schools and without it, you'd be limited in the schools you can apply to.

You would need to get a predicted A in chemistry to apply for 2017 entry.

My advice: Don't drop Chemistry. Work hard and get AAA at A2 next year - Chemistry at A2. Then if you didn't get an offer due to not having a predicted A for Chem, you could at least take a gap year and have the opportunity to apply to the med school of your choice.

i understand what you mean, i mean, only 2-4 universities seem to allow me in without chem at grade A. But if i did take a gap year, would i need to get better than AAA and even higher when resitting the UKCAT
Reply 5
i understand what you mean, i mean, only 2-4 universities seem to allow me in without chem at grade A. But if i did take a gap year, would i need to get better than AAA and even higher when resitting the UKCAT

A gap year doesn't make it harder to get into med school. The grade and UKCAT requirements don't change. If anything it's easier on you! You're not studying. You're not worrying about grades/exams. You've already proved to the med school that you're good academically if you already have achieved AAA. Just need to do the UKCAT like you would anyway.

Med schools don't penalise you for taking a gap year.

in the same boat as you, what two -four unis accept with chem at B?
Unless it has changed, you can choose whether you show your AS grades or not.
Reply 8

predicted grades are:

AR-570
VR-510
QR-750
SJ-Band 2

GCSE:

Personally I would keep Chemistry going for A2, most medical schools state they require A2 Chemistry so if you were to drop it you would be eliminating yourself from some of your choices.

In terms of your grades and work experience, they're great. Hopefully from all of the work experience and voluntary work you've done you'll be able to write a very good personal statement and from there you will have lots to talk about at interview. Make sure you apply to your strengths though and steer clear of medical schools that like lots of A*s at GCSE like Cardiff, Oxford, Birmingham etc.

I would suggest dropping either Maths or Physics and then ensuring that you check on the medical schools websites to check which ones allow a B at AS (by listing their offer as AAAb for example, I think most only require a B). Then work hard to maintain the A in biology and just pull the other two subjects up.
I got a B in my AS chemistry and I was literally on the border. I resat both AS modules and ended up getting high As in both my AS module resits and both my A2 exams, so I finished just a few marks off the A*. It's definitely viable, and I found the resits much easier than I had in Year 12.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 1lastchance
Unless it has changed, you can choose whether you show your AS grades or not.

It has changed. With reformed A levels, the AS is optional and must be declared.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10

predicted grades are:

AR-570
VR-510
QR-750
SJ-Band 2

GCSE:

My opinion:

Never drop Chemistry. When I applied, chemistry was compulsory in most med schools. My AS wasn't the best, but I still got interviews and offers. Some require chemistry, others recommend you have it to at least AS level. You need keep your options open.

Your work experience seems adequate, but depends on how you write your personal statement.

Get predicted AAA, avoid UKCAT heavy universities. Your GCSEs shouldn't hinder your chances either.

Good luck !
I went from BBCC to AAAb so obviously if you work hard then you will get there!
Reply 12
Ideally, I'd say keep chemistry and work hard to get the AAA - then apply on a gap year, with a fresh UKCAT.
No harm in trying this year though; you never know.
Dropping chemistry seriously limits your options, as I'm sure you already know- and with slightly below average stats, you really don't need an extra barrier..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending