The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Official Durham Freshers 2016

Welcome Durham freshers! As new students at Durham University, you’ll hopefully be looking forward to starting. Post any questions you have and get to know others on your course and in your college

State college and course :smile:

WELL DONE
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Is it true that we have to fill out an accommodation questionnaire so we are well-matched to a roommate? If so, when do we do this?

Were you sent a reading list before you arrived?

How long did it take the uni to contact you post-results day?

Sorry, these are really lame nitpicky questions, I just want to know the logistics of everything XD
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by connieiscrazy
Is it true that we have to fill out an accommodation questionnaire so we are well-matched to a roommate? If so, when do we do this?

Were you sent a reading list before you arrived?

How long did it take the uni to contact you post-results day?

Sorry, these are really lame nitpicky questions, I just want to know the logistics of everything XD

That is fine
What college and what course? :smile:

Yes you get a short questionnaire that will match you (Or at least try)
Some subjects do and some dont send a reading list
The sent a welcome pack after about a week
Original post by LPauling
That is fine
What college and what course? :smile:

Yes you get a short questionnaire that will match you (Or at least try)
Some subjects do and some dont send a reading list
The sent a welcome pack after about a week

University College and Law
not a durham fresher but i'd like to know if any of you messed up your as year but bounced back in a2 as durham is my first choice for uni
Reply 5
Original post by yungggnike
not a durham fresher but i'd like to know if any of you messed up your as year but bounced back in a2 as durham is my first choice for uni

Work hard and anything is possible, what subject?
accounting
Original post by LPauling
Work hard and anything is possible, what subject?

accounting
Original post by yungggnike
accounting

Hey I will be starting durham this autumn and i was wondering if any have you have recieved your duo logins? I have yet to recieve mine. Is anyone else in the same position?
Original post by Mazthemelon
Hey I will be starting durham this autumn and i was wondering if any have you have recieved your duo logins? I have yet to recieve mine. Is anyone else in the same position?

I haven't either. Did you fill out your AS12 reply?

SS
Original post by Supersaps
I haven't either. Did you fill out your AS12 reply?

SS

Yes I did, have you? They sent me an automated email confirming what i had typed in my web form thats about it. Its strange, a lot of other unis have started offering accomodation already... ><'
Yes I did, have you? They sent me an automated email confirming what i had typed in my web form thats about it. Its strange, a lot of other unis have started offering accomodation already... ><'

Durham does start quite late though compared to a lot.

Yes, I filled mine out on Friday. I had no idea this thing existed! I thought firming my unconditional from UCAS would be enough...apparently not.

We've still got over a month till we start and we're going to be living colleges anyway, so all we need to be given is our room keys really.

SS
Hey, this is probably a silly question, but while I'm not staying at Durham (I'm living at home), I've been allocated to St Aidan's (I'm studying geology).
I was wondering if I still had to go down to the arrival day (Sunday 2nd Oct.), because idk if that's only for people who are staying or?? I've got the college welcome pack with all the medical forms etc., but the way they sound in the letters sounds as if they're only directing the info at people who require accommodation (sorry if that doesn't make sense I'm not very good at explaining). I've looked all over for info for students who aren't living at uni, and can't find anything!
Original post by Yarunika
Hey, this is probably a silly question, but while I'm not staying at Durham (I'm living at home), I've been allocated to St Aidan's (I'm studying geology).
I was wondering if I still had to go down to the arrival day (Sunday 2nd Oct.), because idk if that's only for people who are staying or?? I've got the college welcome pack with all the medical forms etc., but the way they sound in the letters sounds as if they're only directing the info at people who require accommodation (sorry if that doesn't make sense I'm not very good at explaining). I've looked all over for info for students who aren't living at uni, and can't find anything!

As you're staying at home, I don't think the medical forms will be necessary - you won't need a doctor based in Durham as you won't be living there. However, you will probably still need to attend the events during Fresher's Week - the induction sessions ran by both your college and your department will most likely be compulsory.
Original post by Yarunika
x!

I, too, am living out.

I would definitely get stuck into the social side of life during Freshers. Not to be missed. Not just the drinking but just the whole chance to meet people during the day too.

SS
Any mature students here?
Reply 17
Right so i've read through freshers planning and it all seems like we're just gonna be sitting round and drinking tea and eating toast n that. Do we not like go out and drink like other unis?
Original post by CoIIins
Do we not like go out and drink like other unis?

Haha, I hope so!
Yeah, I finally managed to decipher the forms thanks! And I'm looking forward to Freshers, tho I am a little nervous! Does that mean I should attend the welcome thingy they're holding on Sunday the 2nd Oct? The way they make it sounds seems as if its a big welcome party thing, tho it could just be for those who are accommodated within the college. Looking forward to it tho! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest