Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Missed out on my offer due to mental health issues - I can't be the only one right?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 11-10-2016

During exam season and to a lesser extent all year round I always have pretty messy mental health symptoms pop up, usually I just assumed that these are normal for everyone under stress and part of why school is supposed to be tough but this year they were getting REALLY intense, I could tell they were having even more of an impact on my exams than usual and after the amount of effort i put in this year I wasn't happy with letting them ruining it. I decided to be more open with my friends about them and ask them what they do to cope and none of them had any idea what I was talking about So after making most of my fiends uncomfortable I decided to hit up a friend of mine with bipolar disorder. After that I realized that my current and more long term issues were in fact very far from normal (I'm seriously not sure how I didn't realize I sooner my life is a mess) and booked myself an emergency GP appointment. I figured I wouldn't be given any wonder drugs to save me but I at least expected to get a referral to adult mental health services and some short term coping tips. Boy was I wrong, not going into details but the doctor insinuated that I was making it up and dismissed me entirely.Not wanting to give up I decided to speak with a few senior leadership people at my school and a friend of a friend who works in mental health and found the most promising option to be a self referral. The place I referred myself to took an entire month to get back to me and gave me a phone appointment mid September (god bless the NHS).So cut to results day and I open the envelope to find I've gotten ACC - this is SO much more than I expected to get but not enough for my ABB offer at UCL. Unfortunately UCL don't do clearing and I couldn't get in contact with the professors for my course. I can probably get a place at a few unis through clearing etc because my grades realistically aren't so bad but UCL was really the only uni I wanted to go to. I just feel so cheated by my own brain chemistry If I had known that I wasn't neurototypical sooner then I could've had coping mechanisms or medication or just anything to stabilize me through exam season and I would've gotten in. Has anyone else been through this kind of stuff? Or does anyone have any advice here?
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.