The Student Room Group

Bad AS results, don't know what to do now?! Need advice

I got EUD, psychology chemistry biology respectively, my teacher is advising that I stick with them and carry on to A2 but do an EPQ along side my alevels, I don't feel confident in chemistry at all, in my mocks I got Bs for psych and bio and an E for chemistry. I just don't know where it went so wrong in the actual exams, I felt at the time I hadn't done my best. I've moved sixth form from my other school and had to change exam board so they say it could be due to this I just have no confidence now and have no clue what to do. I'm thinking of a Btec science course but that would be my last option and I'm not keen on doing that, Also will this affect my predicted grades because I need ABB/BBB to get into uni for my course. Anyone else got any similar grades? What are you doing?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Can you resit alevels - year 12 again? Different subjects?
Reply 2
I am the same. I got UUE on Maths, Chem and Biol. I'm going to change from college back to the school that I did my GCSE's in and I'm starting over again. I'm restarting As Levels because for me that will give me another opportunity to do my best and try harder on the first year without having to worry about doing well with my A Levels on top of that. If I did both I feel that I would really struggle with time management and at the end of the day, the second year is what really counts.
Original post by lulucoco98
Can you resit alevels - year 12 again? Different subjects?

I've just settled in to the sixth form and don't feel that I want to move again, plus resitting would mean I'm a year behind my friends, have you got any revision tips?
Original post by inameni
I am the same. I got UUE on Maths, Chem and Biol. I'm going to change from college back to the school that I did my GCSE's in and I'm starting over again. I'm restarting As Levels because for me that will give me another opportunity to do my best and try harder on the first year without having to worry about doing well with my A Levels on top of that. If I did both I feel that I would really struggle with time management and at the end of the day, the second year is what really counts.

Yeah that sounds right for you, my school that I did GCSEs at don't have a sixth form so I can't move back although I'd love to. I feel I can get a good grade atleast Bs in psych and bio but I'm really uncertain about Chem, do you think I'd be able to get my grade up from a U in a year to atleast a C?
Reply 5
Id resit the year...
Reply 6
I am in a similar scenario where I have CCEU as my grades. My sixth form will not let me study chemistry there any more as I got a U in that. Im not sure what to do anymore can someone please help and give me some guidance on what to do? I am unsure of what I now want to do in the future as a career
(edited 7 years ago)
Were you doing the new reformed A-levels?
Reply 8
yes apart from EPQ which is one of the Cs, i got a C in biology an E in economics and a U in chemistry
Original post by LadybirdOrange
I'm thinking of a Btec science course but that would be my last option and I'm not keen on doing that, Also will this affect my predicted grades because I need ABB/BBB to get into uni for my course.

The people at my school who have been considering changing from A Level to BTEC have emailed the universities they want to go to beforehand to see if they would still be eligible. Maybe contact the uni you are looking at and ask if they accept BTEC.

Also you say you need BBB. Are there no unis that will accept lower? Or allow you to do a foundation year or something? Have you looked at apprenticeships? There are a lot of options besides A Levels.
Original post by TheStudent19
The people at my school who have been considering changing from A Level to BTEC have emailed the universities they want to go to beforehand to see if they would still be eligible. Maybe contact the uni you are looking at and ask if they accept BTEC.

Also you say you need BBB. Are there no unis that will accept lower? Or allow you to do a foundation year or something? Have you looked at apprenticeships? There are a lot of options besides A Levels.

Yes the unis do accept lower but its whether they will even offer a place to me if I don't have predicted BBB?
Original post by TheStudent19

Yes the unis do accept lower but its whether they will even offer a place to me if I don't have predicted BBB? I would like to continue with a levels and don't really like the idea of apprenticeship
Has anyone done a fast track a level?
Yes the unis do accept lower but its whether they will even offer a place to me if I don't have predicted BBB? I would like to continue with a levels and don't really like the idea of apprenticeship

How would you feel about resitting the year with different subjects, perhaps finding an institute that offers a triple diploma in BTEC science or something similar? Are there any colleges near you that offer triple diplomas that look interesting? They might be a better option than doing three new A Levels

What subject do you want to do at uni?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by JJJani
I am in a similar scenario where I have CCEU as my grades. My sixth form will not let me study chemistry there any more as I got a U in that. Im not sure what to do anymore can someone please help and give me some guidance on what to do? I am unsure of what I now want to do in the future as a career

Look at the subjects you're carrying on, and get some advice on the careers from there :smile: sorry to hear things didn't go as planned, but CCE are not bad grades to work with! One of my friends had to drop chemistry for the same reason, and has ended up going for nursing
Reply 15
Original post by Ezme39
Look at the subjects you're carrying on, and get some advice on the careers from there :smile: sorry to hear things didn't go as planned, but CCE are not bad grades to work with! One of my friends had to drop chemistry for the same reason, and has ended up going for nursing
Thank You
Reply 16
I've been into similar situation exactly last year, if not worse. I really thought that maybe a level wasn't my thing and perhaps I should have done btec. My parents despite being disappointed, they really insisted on not giving up the course just yet. This has nothing to do with btec not being good by any means, it's just that they believed in me more than I do. To put it into simple words, they thought I had the potentials to do good but I simply didn't fulfill them. So I ended up retaking the whole year and today, when I received my results, I ended up getting A in Maths, B in Physics (really close to an A) and B in F.Maths. Decided to not retake my forth subject (Chemistry - didn't really matter to me tbh). I do need to mention that all my teachers this year have been absolutely terrific, really feel lucky to had them throughout the year as compared to last year (not trying to make up excuses, although I think I wouldn't have done as bad as I did would I have had better teachers).

What I would advise to you from my personal experience, try talk to your parents, they know you more than anyone else does in this world and will always give you the best/wisest decisions to make. Sorry for the long post, hope it helps :biggrin:
Reply 17
Yeah that sounds right for you, my school that I did GCSEs at don't have a sixth form so I can't move back although I'd love to. I feel I can get a good grade atleast Bs in psych and bio but I'm really uncertain about Chem, do you think I'd be able to get my grade up from a U in a year to atleast a C?

You'd have to do extremely well the second year to raise it to a c. Could give it a try, but if you're uncertain I would fast track another subject in the second year because if you aren't that keen on it to begin with and have a U to enter A Levels with, you might not enjoy it very much.
I got EUD, psychology chemistry biology respectively, my teacher is advising that I stick with them and carry on to A2 but do an EPQ along side my alevels, I don't feel confident in chemistry at all, in my mocks I got Bs for psych and bio and an E for chemistry. I just don't know where it went so wrong in the actual exams, I felt at the time I hadn't done my best. I've moved sixth form from my other school and had to change exam board so they say it could be due to this I just have no confidence now and have no clue what to do. I'm thinking of a Btec science course but that would be my last option and I'm not keen on doing that, Also will this affect my predicted grades because I need ABB/BBB to get into uni for my course. Anyone else got any similar grades? What are you doing?

Mate you don't need to resit, your under the new spec which means that the courses are a linear year.
That means that the EUD you achieved will become predicted grades, your teachers might change them to CCC, depending on your circumstances and the grades that you achieved via mocks and homework etc. There is also the possibility of your predicted grades changing if your grades in the mocks, before the UCAS deadline, increase from DDD to BBB or even to AAA etc.

This is if you are taking the new AS spec/the reforms.

I got DDE and I'm just going to take it cry/get angry when it actually hits me and move on, start studying earlier and beg the stars and Jedi gods that I will have a much more smoother year; as this year was ****ING HORRIBLE, TOXIC, CRAZY and more for me.

All that is left is GOOD LUCK!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=26320-A-guide-to-AS-results-2016
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Seth17
I've been into similar situation exactly last year, if not worse. I really thought that maybe a level wasn't my thing and perhaps I should have done btec. My parents despite being disappointed, they really insisted on not giving up the course just yet. This has nothing to do with btec not being good by any means, it's just that they believed in me more than I do. To put it into simple words, they thought I had the potentials to do good but I simply didn't fulfill them. So I ended up retaking the whole year and today, when I received my results, I ended up getting A in Maths, B in Physics (really close to an A) and B in F.Maths. Decided to not retake my forth subject (Chemistry - didn't really matter to me tbh). I do need to mention that all my teachers this year have been absolutely terrific, really feel lucky to had them throughout the year as compared to last year (not trying to make up excuses, although I think I wouldn't have done as bad as I did would I have had better teachers).

What I would advise to you from my personal experience, try talk to your parents, they know you more than anyone else does in this world and will always give you the best/wisest decisions to make. Sorry for the long post, hope it helps :biggrin:

So did you restart your a levels with the same subjects? My parents and teachers say I should just continue and put a lot more effort in next year, they have all said that they know I can do better, I know myself that I can do better it's just finding the motivation again I guess. Congratulations on your results though they're fab!!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest