The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Snowystar
Does anyone know of any good apps or websites that test year 11 maths non calculator. My teacher said that at the end of every month we will have a miniature mock she just told us today for next Friday....

Onmaths or justmaths. They are websites, though, not apps - sorry!
Original post by patriciaanne
Onmaths or justmaths. They are websites, though, not apps - sorry!

Thanks anything is helpful, trying them out in the minute :biggrin:
Original post by Snowystar
Does anyone know of any good apps or websites that test year 11 maths non calculator. My teacher said that at the end of every month we will have a miniature mock she just told us today for next Friday....

I'm not doing the new spec for Maths but I think you should just do as many past papers as you can. After all, how different can it get? (hopefully I'm not wrong about this as I've not seen the new spec but I have heard that it is VERY algebra-based so if you're not as good at algebra, it's worth doing questions on those)

There's MathsGenie for past papers... (hope it helps :biggrin:)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by danielwinstanley
Omg Kill Me. It's actually one of the worst things I've done: so boring and so crap, and somehow I still get the marks. We've done activity 1,2 and 4 (4 will be finished after activity 3)

Im also doing Edexcel ICT but for my CW, I'm doing the Prom CAB. Why are you two doing the old ones? I did the Community Spirit one last year as practise
Things YOU can do ...
- Introduce yourself
I'm from Plymouth, obviously in year 11. (HOW THE HELL?!?)
- What are your hobbies and interests?
MEMES.
- How many GCSEs are you taking?
9 but maybe 10 if I decide to do Further Maths
- What subjects are you taking and with what exam board?
English Lang/Lit AQA
Science Core/Additional Edexcel
Maths Edexcel
Business Edexcel
French Edexcel
ICT Edexcel
Geography OCR

- Do you think you're ready for Year 11 and the new GCSEs?
Umm NO
- What's your favourite subject(s)?
Maths. I know I'm a nerd but I'm one of those freaks who gets it

- What's your dream career? (If you don't know that's completely fine, we're only in Year 11 so you still have time to think.)
Something to do with Business and Finance
Who else knows when they start their mocks? Mine start on the 1st December, and it seems really soon if the year keeps going at this rate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Simonexoxo
Who else knows when they start their mocks? Mine start on the 1st December, and it seems really soon if the year keeps going at this rate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My school starts mocks in January.
Original post by _gcx

Yeah most schools are. It makes sense since you have the christmas holiday to revise

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello, I'm Jasmin and I'm in Year 11 (obviously haha). I like watching YouTube videos and listening to music and pretending I'm in a music video.

I am taking 11 scary GCSEs:
- English Language AQA
- English Literature AQA
- Maths Edexcel
- Biology Edexcel
- Chemistry Edexcel
- Physics Edexcel
- Computer Science Edexcel
- French Edexcel (I think)
- RE WJEC
- Drama
- History (dunno what board)

Do you think you're ready for Year 11 and the new GCSEs?
Yes? I hope....

What's your favourite subject(s)?
RE because there are 3 of us in the class so it's very calm and focused.

What's your dream career? (If you don't know that's completely fine, we're only in Year 11 so you still have time to think.)
Something in medicine. I'd like to study at Oxbridge so I'm working hard on these GCSEs haha.
Original post by jashab14
Hello, I'm Jasmin and I'm in Year 11 (obviously haha). I like watching YouTube videos and listening to music and pretending I'm in a music video.

I am taking 11 scary GCSEs:
- English Language AQA
- English Literature AQA
- Maths Edexcel
- Biology Edexcel
- Chemistry Edexcel
- Physics Edexcel
- Computer Science Edexcel
- French Edexcel (I think)
- RE WJEC
- Drama
- History (dunno what board)

Yes? I hope....

RE because there are 3 of us in the class so it's very calm and focused.

What's your dream career? (If you don't know that's completely fine, we're only in Year 11 so you still have time to think.)
Something in medicine. I'd like to study at Oxbridge so I'm working hard on these GCSEs haha.

Good luck! Is there any reason why you're scared about the subjects? :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mine start around this date about the last week of November tho. For maths
I have to have a mock at the end of every month :frown: and in English we have to consistantly go through the exams. It isn't too bad

Posted from TSR Mobile

We haven't been told yet beyond "November" and "February" Judging by previous years, it will be WB 21st November and WB 6th February but if they fancied telling us what subjects etc. (we don't do all the subjects either time) then it would be very useful!
Original post by _gcx

We have a some, starting on the 28th November this term, and then another set in January, the next term.
Hi, I'm Francesco.

By the end of year 11 I would have 11 GCSEs and 1 AS:
Maths (Edexcel)
English Language (AQA)
English Literature (AQA)
Biology (AQA)
Chemistry (AQA)
Physics (AQA)
German (Edexcel)
Italian (Edexcel)
History (OCR)
Computing (OCR)
RS - Philosophy and Ethics (OCR) - I have done this in year 10 and got an A*

I am also doing an AS in Critical Thinking (OCR)

I hope so!

German and Physics because I find them really enjoyable and I like the teachers.

I would like to be a Chemical Engineer or a Commercial Airline pilot.

:smile:
Original post by BobBobson
For Min Turning points:
Say you have the equation y=x2+4x+1 y = x^2 + 4x + 1 , that can be written as: y=(x+2)23 y = (x+2)^2 -3 .
To find the minimum turning point, you need find the point where y is at its lowest value. So therefore, you want the point where (x+2)23 (x+2)^2 - 3 is at its lowest value. You can't do anything about the "-3" bit, that's a constant, but what you can do is to make (x+2)2 (x+2)^2 as low as possible. You do that by making x = -2, so that you get (2+2)2=02 (-2+2)^2 = 0^2 , if x is any less, or any more, then you'll get a positive number for that part of the equation. The key is to make the value inside the brackets be 0.

So now you know x is -2, what is y? Well, you just plug in the values so you get y=(2+2)23=3 y = (-2+2)^2 - 3 = -3 , this is just the value outside the brackets. So the minimum turning point for y=x2+4x+1 y = x^2 + 4x + 1 is (2,3) (-2, -3) . See if you can do the same for the maximum turning point of y=x2+4x+1 y = -x^2 + 4x + 1

Thank you so much!
If you had a negative x coefficient, would you have to change all the negative signs to positive signs? I'd work it would with a pen and paper, but I don't have any on me at the moment.
Original post by MissChameleon
Hi,

Nice to meet you! :biggrin: I just starting rereading Jekyll and Hyde. I also read it at the start of year 10, somehow my teacher felt we'd remember everything.

I understand the maths struggle. :frown: Tomorrow, I have a maths test on everything we've learnt. Do you have a mathswatch login? It saved my life last year. Bitesize can be useful also and I recommend getting a revision guide - I have the CGP 9-1 revision guide.

I don't think I'm qualified to help anyone with quadratic sequences since I've already forgotten it but here's the bitesize link for quadratic sequences: http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/maths/algebra/sequencesquadrev1.shtml

Hope this helps :smile:

I've never heard of mathswatch before. I'll go check it out now! My old maths teacher (who was great; I was able to move up a set at the end of last year) said Corbett Maths was really good. I got some practise papers and the like from there, and loads of other people in my class said it was great.
How did your maths test go?
Original post by Skiing Turtles
Thank you so much!
If you had a negative x coefficient, would you have to change all the negative signs to positive signs? I'd work it would with a pen and paper, but I don't have any on me at the moment.

You complete the square normally and you'll see there will be a negative sign in front of the brackets. You have the make the whole equation be as high as possible (that's why it's called max turning point) You still do the same thing though (make whats inside the brackets 0).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Skiing Turtles
I've never heard of mathswatch before. I'll go check it out now! My old maths teacher (who was great; I was able to move up a set at the end of last year) said Corbett Maths was really good. I got some practise papers and the like from there, and loads of other people in my class said it was great.
How did your maths test go?

Corbett Maths? I'll check it out, thanks for the advice. :h:

My maths test was pretty terrible. It was nothing like the past papers! Or even specimen papers! Nothing could have prepared me for that. I doubt I even got 50% correct and we have our third paper on Wednesday.

How about you? Any maths tests?
Original post by MissChameleon
Corbett Maths? I'll check it out, thanks for the advice. :h:

My maths test was pretty terrible. It was nothing like the past papers! Or even specimen papers! Nothing could have prepared me for that. I doubt I even got 50% correct and we have our third paper on Wednesday.

How about you? Any maths tests?

Maths tests always go terribly. The thing you've got to remember is that it went terribly for everyone else as well!
No maths tests yet, but I've had one in chemistry, one in physics. I have a biology one on Tuesday and a Spanish one next Wednesday. My French teacher has warned us that's we'll be getting a controlled assessment task within the next week or so. We're finishing our geography course work, so we have a high-control assessment coming up soon.
Such fun.
Original post by BobBobson
You complete the square normally and you'll see there will be a negative sign in front of the brackets. You have the make the whole equation be as high as possible (that's why it's called max turning point) You still do the same thing though (make whats inside the brackets 0).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Surely that would mean x would have to be infinite, then? Can you get x as being infinite?

Latest