Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Accomm prices!!

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

I'm a parent. My daughter applied early for accomm. and confirmed her place early today, however she has been allocated her 4th choice , it is £5200 for 42 weeks. I checked the term dates but don't think she will be there for 42 weeks so will be paying £125pw for weeks she probably won't be there!! does anyone understand this or know a way round it £125 is a lot of dosh!!

I'm in the same boat. None of my choices and the extra weeks are wasted at the managed partnership. I wish the unis had more flexible end dates as this was why all of my choices were actual uni housing.

I think that the only option would be down to looking for a room swap. Is your daughter not getting student loans to cover the rent?
    If so it is not down to you to cover it really

I do think that guidance to students about choosing accommodation, particularly around managed partnerships or completely private halls is very poor generally (not just at Newcastle by any means)

We (and frankly mostly I, as a parent) spent a *lot* of time on the initial application to structure my son's options very carefully and our insights from extensive research are not much use to you at this point. The information is all there but I don't suppose you'll be alone in it not sinking in until now. She got one of her choices and as you've seen from other posters, some get allocated to this more expensive accommodation when it wasn't one of their 6 choices at all. (We are considering ourselves *very* lucky to have got 3rd choice, in the cheapest tier for convenient location) This year was always going to be difficult because of the demolition of Richardson Road, losing a lot of cheaper accommodation for those entering this September.

If it is any consolation:
    1) Those extra weeks may not be as 'wasted' as you think - not all students dash home the minute the academic year is over, and that time might be used in gainful employment (and if you are collecting, provides increased flexibility)
    2) Newcastle University compares favourably in terms of accommodation cost. Things could be *way* worse.
    3) You do at least have some certainty now... your daughter won't be one of those students sleeping on someone's floor at the beginning of term.

She might get someone to swap with, but do make sure you all do the sums eg cheaper accommodation further away might be balanced against travel costs and arguably a different student experience.

Fortunately I quite like beans on toast...
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Cats: Yay or nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.