The Student Room Group

Personal Statement help pls

Hi, I have a couple of quick questions about my PS

1. I’m doing Maths, English History Latin. and im applying for English.

Is there any point mentioning the spiel the ‘history and latin improve my essy writing and analytical skills’ or can i just skip that bit because it isn’t original. Secondly do I have to even mention Maths ?

2. On a tangent, I’m keeping Maths because i’m applying to America. Can I mention that I’m applying to America in my PS and mention that I got full marks on the ACT in English and Reading or nah?

3. can i say that I want to keep on learning Latin (which I’ve emailed all my prospective unis and they say thats fine) in the PS, or just keep that information for if I actually get in?

Thanksies!
You don't need to mention your A levels at all. They are visible on your application so don't add much to your PS. Everyone doing the same A levels will have similar skills so they aren't unique to you. Applying to America again doesn't add to your application to UK unis and nor does your ACT since it isn't a requirement here. Latin is fine to mention but only briefly unless it's relevant to your course.
Original post by alleycat393
You don't need to mention your A levels at all. They are visible on your application so don't add much to your PS. Everyone doing the same A levels will have similar skills so they aren't unique to you. Applying to America again doesn't add to your application to UK unis and nor does your ACT since it isn't a requirement here. Latin is fine to mention but only briefly unless it's relevant to your course.

It is not important to mention A levels but it is possible. You can say how each A level links with your degree choice. E.g. I applied to study Law and I did an Economics A level. Studying Economics at A level has made me aware of the current conditions of the UK and Economy and how the Law's can influence it further etc...
Original post by billy_k
It is not important to mention A levels but it is possible. You can say how each A level links with your degree choice. E.g. I applied to study Law and I did an Economics A level. Studying Economics at A level has made me aware of the current conditions of the UK and Economy and how the Law's can influence it further etc...

Lots of things are possible but they'd also be wasting space which is precious in a PS. In some cases that's as close to an interview an applicant gets and it's not a good idea to waste space on stuff that's elsewhere on the application and not unique to the applicant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by alleycat393
Lots of things are possible but they'd also be wasting space which is precious in a PS. In some cases that's as close to an interview an applicant gets and it's not a good idea to waste space on stuff that's elsewhere on the application and not unique to the applicant.

Posted from TSR Mobile

hm thats true. thank you very much for your answer! I’m not going to talk about latin or history, just ancient classical literature because that’s more important than the ‘essay’ skills i learnt in the subjects. One more question, if that’s ok?

is it important for english that you talk about your syllabus books or can i completely disregard them, because my independent reading has only been to supplement my exam revision, and just focus on books that i have read completely outside of school?
If it's relevant to why you want to study the subject and how you're interest developed then go for it. Do bear in mind though that most other people's doing that A level will have done similar things so it won't make you stand out. You'd be better off talking about relevant things you've done outside of your school work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending