The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ace C
Know this is a year 12 thread, but can anyone help me with this maths question plz? A set of four numbers has a mode of 6, a median of 7 and a range of 8. What are the four numbers? Thanks :smile:

I assume that since the mode is 6, there must be two sixes out of the four numbers.

Please help thanks :biggrin:

6, 6, 4 and 12
ignore this
Original post by Ace C
Know this is a year 12 thread, but can anyone help me with this maths question plz? A set of four numbers has a mode of 6, a median of 7 and a range of 8. What are the four numbers? Thanks :smile:

I assume that since the mode is 6, there must be two sixes out of the four numbers.

Please help thanks :biggrin:

6, 6, 8 and 14. What is this for anyway?
Original post by Kxjzh
Okay I need some help. My biology teacher does not think I'll be able to cope with the course because I got a C in additional science. The requirement is at least a B at Core Science, and a B at additional, but I got A at core and C at additional. I have had mental health problems the last year, and I had a 'friend' who wouldn't let me get any work done in biology this year so I know, I can do better. But I don't know what to do. Help? Anyone?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Were your school aware of your mental health issues?

You'll need to speak to your teacher to let him know why you didn't do as well as you hoped. If you have any evidence (e.g. GP letter, referrals etc.) it'll help your cause, but sadly it'll be at his or her discretion.
Reply 584
Original post by usycool1
Were your school aware of your mental health issues?

You'll need to speak to your teacher to let him know why you didn't do as well as you hoped. If you have any evidence (e.g. GP letter, referrals etc.) it'll help your cause, but sadly it'll be at his or her discretion.

It's complicated. A couple of teachers know, but I have no official diagnosis so it's hard. It's that situation of I have every symptom going, but haven't been for an official diagnosis for personal reasons.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What a good week!!!love lessons and having fun,but im worried for chemistry i really hope i can get through cos i have to think alot but u no,i hope i can continue!!ibreally wanna not drop it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by karmacrunch
Yes?? Surprised? :tongue:

Hii i remember u!!!its been aaages 😜how r u?if u remember me course😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kxjzh
It's complicated. A couple of teachers know, but I have no official diagnosis so it's hard. It's that situation of I have every symptom going, but haven't been for an official diagnosis for personal reasons.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would urge you to get an official diagnosis in that case. Ask those teachers who feel the same to see if they can help too.
Original post by skhan99
What a good week!!!love lessons and having fun,but im worried for chemistry i really hope i can get through cos i have to think alot but u no,i hope i can continue!!ibreally wanna not drop it

Posted from TSR Mobile

I never liked A-Level Chemistry. So happy I don't have to do that rubbish again. :smile:
Original post by skhan99

Yeah, a lot of the questions are "thinking questions" where we have to apply our knowledge and understand in any context. Apparently, only learning facts will result in you getting an E at A Level :eek:

I'm also taking chemistry. Which exam board are you doing?
Original post by Mr...
Good luck, I think tomorrow I have a full day :colonhash: :colonhash: :colonhash:

Yeah I'm excited to get really stuck in with work especially since I care about my subjects.

I definitely will, I am saf hing much more French TV now too

Oh yeah I got a job :biggrin:

I'm fortunate. No full days. Although I have 4 lessons on most days. :moon:

I hope organising things will become a lot easier from next week as I kind of know what to expect. (:

Read books aloud too in funny French accents. :tongue:

Nice!! Well done. What kind of job??

Wow, that's quite amazing. A lot has happened during that time eh... :awesome: I assure you, there are no mini Usy's yet. All the (old) female Usy's are now ex's so we'll have to wait some time. :lol:

Don't worry, that's normal for A-Levels. Just keep trying to keep up and you will be fine. At GCSE, you'll have been used to going into exams feeling as though you've revised everything and have a good shot (how were your GCSEs, btw?). Then at A-Levels, you'll go in feeling slightly less confident but everyone will be like that. (Then at Med School, you go in thinking: "What the hell, I haven't revised like 25% of the stuff!" but that too is expected :tongue:). What have you covered in Biology?

Indeedy. :tongue:

That's very true. I remember at the start of Year 10 wondering how I'd get through GCSEs but it was okay in the end. :biggrin: In the 'Cells' topic, we've recapped cells + scientific drawings; we've also learnt about different types of microscopes. In 'Biological Molecules', we've learnt about the different types of bonding (in biological terms), the importance of water, monomers/polymers/dimers + how they link to carbohydrates, and, finally, condensation + hydrolysis reactions. :h:

I didn't realise we covered so much until I had written that out. :mmm:
Original post by skhan99
Hii i remember u!!!its been aaages 😜how r u?if u remember me course😂
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm fine, thanks. How about you?? :tongue: It's been a really long time. + Of course, I remember you. :h:
Original post by skhan99

Posted from TSR Mobile

Try taking Physics. :colone:
Original post by karmacrunch

Indeedy. :tongue:

That's very true. I remember at the start of Year 10 wondering how I'd get through GCSEs but it was okay in the end. :biggrin: In the 'Cells' topic, we've recapped cells + scientific drawings; we've also learnt about different types of microscopes. In 'Biological Molecules', we've learnt about the different types of bonding (in biological terms), the importance of water, monomers/polymers/dimers + how they link to carbohydrates, and, finally, condensation + hydrolysis reactions. :h:

I didn't realise we covered so much until I had written that out. :mmm:

Different types of microscopes is a load of rubbish and very boring. :tongue: I can't see why they teach it out of a textbook - it's much better to see things practically IMO. Either way though, I don't like microscopes but have to use them still for next year. And if I decide to become a pathologist, but I don't think I will. :hand:

Ah that stuff isn't too bad to be honest. :nah: When you start doing past papers, you'll see that many questions are repeated and that it's easy to get marks on them. Biology is very content heavy, and you won't be the only one who feels behind. You will catch up in time for exams, however. AS is a short and brutal course :tongue: Well, presuming you have AS exams this year that is... :smile:
Original post by ColossalAtom
Try taking Physics. :colone:

Physics was no where near as bad as Chemistry IMO. :tongue:
Different types of microscopes is a load of rubbish and very boring. :tongue: I can't see why they teach it out of a textbook - it's much better to see things practically IMO. Either way though, I don't like microscopes but have to use them still for next year. And if I decide to become a pathologist, but I don't think I will. :hand:

Ah that stuff isn't too bad to be honest. :nah: When you start doing past papers, you'll see that many questions are repeated and that it's easy to get marks on them. Biology is very content heavy, and you won't be the only one who feels behind. You will catch up in time for exams, however. AS is a short and brutal course :tongue: Well, presuming you have AS exams this year that is... :smile:

Agreed, I made most of my notes from the textbook. It takes me ages to focus the microscopes. :lol: I have to admit, seeing cells close is pretty cool. You probably use really high-tech ones in med school... What specialties are you thinking of? :tongue:

The course for AS is massive and apparently it doesn't leave a lot of time for revision so I kind of hope we're not doing ASs this year. :redface: + We'd have to repeat the exams next year anyway because of the changes, although they're an hour longer. I have great teachers though so I'm feeling calm at the moment. :h:
Had my first lessons today, and already have two essays for homework. One for English lit and one for sociology. I would have cried if I'd gotten an essay for History.
Other than that an overall great start, I can't believe I just had my first day and some people have finished their first week :biggrin:
Original post by nin-kaii
Hey Michelle! If you got an A*, and really enjoy the subject, you should consider taking art.
I had my first Fine art lesson today, I met so many other arty people and we get to go on trips and lots of opportunities. I would never take a subject becuase it's more 'valued'. Every subject is equally hard- it's myth from 10 years ago that some of them are harder. (My teachers have told me.) They're only harder if you don't like learning them.
Do what you like best and you will get the results you'll want! If you don't take it you might never get a chance to to it later in life. (Besides, isn't it a nice break from all the writing subjects?)
Unless you need that english for your uni of course.

Thanks so much for the advice! I thought about it long and hard and decided I would keep art as a hobby and continue on with english, and if i really dont like it, i will change courses to art :smile:)
My gosh I feel incredibly late!
Anyhow...
- Introduce yourself

I am Joshua [or Josh, as I prefer to be called].
I am from Hampshire, and I am not at all happy about my GCSE grades. I would do anything to redo GCSEs to be quite honest:
I got 4A*, 4A, 7B, 2C and a Pass in Music BTEC

- What are your hobbies and interests?

I would say that my main hobbies are anything and everything to do with language. Whether it's my native English or a foreign language, I love language.
Oh, and juggling.

- What subjects are you taking?

I am currently taking English Language, French, Classical Civilisation, and Drama and Theatre.
- Your favourite subject(s)?

I would say, at this precise moment in time, that my favourite subjects are Drama and French. However, over my whole schooling, I've always loved French and Latin. I'm also really enjoying the art and architecture aspects of Classics.

- Your ideal future occupation?

Something to do with linguistics. I was planning on applying to Oxford, but my grades are so proportionately terrible that it's truly not worth it. My ideal occupation would be something like freelance translation or working in the linguistic side of theatre, potentially as a dialect coach or something.
So how many of you already made friends? The ones that started already.

Latest