The Student Room Group

Uni School Bags (how much do you carry?)

So I got accepted into my university (yay!), and now I'm starting to think about what school bag I should buy.

I'm not really into shoulder bags as I like the weight of my bags to be spread equally on both of my shoulders.

I was wondering how much does a typical university student carry in their bag/backpack (I know it varies from course to course), would I have to get a large sturdy bag, or would a simple leather bag like from Asos be okay.

(btw I'm a girl and I'm going to be studying nursing if that makes a difference, but I still want to hear from others in different courses!!)

Thanks!
Relatively speaking I would say mine is rather small. Yet it fits my 13'' laptop, about 4 A4 sketch books, along with other books and my many fineliners and pencils.

So with that in mind, I would avoid going overboard on the size. As I would guess that the only sort of course that would require more stuff to take than mine, would be fine art. I do not miss having to carry a huge A1 folder day in, day out. :h:
Reply 2
Have a backpack and I can fit my laptop, headphones, pencil case, a fat notebook and my lunch with plenty of room to spare.
well it differs from corse to cours but as a rule I would take a backpack or a messinger bag with space for a pad of some description a pen/pencal your lap top + mouse (track pads suck) I would not take a luch as the canteens in uni are AMAZINGalso if you are in town you got Subway and
KFC and such like.
Original post by chxma
So I got accepted into my university (yay!), and now I'm starting to think about what school bag I should buy.

I'm not really into shoulder bags as I like the weight of my bags to be spread equally on both of my shoulders.

I was wondering how much does a typical university student carry in their bag/backpack (I know it varies from course to course), would I have to get a large sturdy bag, or would a simple leather bag like from Asos be okay.

(btw I'm a girl and I'm going to be studying nursing if that makes a difference, but I still want to hear from others in different courses!!)

Thanks!

Hello :smile:

Congratulations on getting into University!

When it comes to bags, I have a shoulder bag because I don't have a lot to carry as I use an iPad Mini for University and such.

It does depend on your course and such - but I'm sure whatever you buy, it'll be the right bag!

Best of luck :smile:
Original post by chxma

Thanks!

I looove the way you say you got accepted to uni but refer to a "school" bag!

I think any bag pack is fine. I mean I usually get my bags from high st shops like New Look or River Island as they last a long time (although I get a new bag each year).

I study English Lit n Philosophy so sometimes I have to carry anthologies or a few books around if I have a whole day of diff lecs/seminars so I tend to buy a bag that can fit a few books in and a water bottle and a place for my keys and wallet. I think that's all you need in a bag for your studies really.
Uni is an institution for higher learning. It's not really a school and we all know OP meant "school" as in, secondary school.
I'm studying a law degree and this is a photo of my bag in the first term, since then its only got heavier! 2016-08-19 13.52.48.jpg
Reply 8
Original post by Stevensapiens
I'm studying a law degree and this is a photo of my bag in the first term, since then its only got heavier! 2016-08-19 13.52.48.jpg

That's stuffed! Just wondering, does that bag have a strap (kinda like a shoulder bag) or do you carry it around like a normal bag? Weird question, I know, but since I myself will be studying law this September, I thought it would be a good idea to start looking for a decent bag haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ACz09
That's stuffed! Just wondering, does that bag have a strap (kinda like a shoulder bag) or do you carry it around like a normal bag? Weird question, I know, but since I myself will be studying law this September, I thought it would be a good idea to start looking for a decent bag haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It does have a shoulder strap but I don't use it because I'm normally in a suit and don't wish to crease it. It's a great bag though and I have used the strap before, it's from Primark and was cheap too if I remember!

Quick Reply

Latest