Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Cambridge application

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016

Hi all, this is my first post on TSR, so go easy on me
    This year I achieved A*AA with my A2 results in History, Geography and Religious studies. This was beyond what I expected and I am delighted. I am now to take a gap year at a think tank in Westminster before going onto university. I hold an unconditional offer from Durham university to study Theology and Religion.

However, many have told me that it would be expedient to decline my offer and re apply whilst I am on my gap year, specifically so that I may apply to Cambridge University. However, I would like to know from some people before I apply what the likelihood of receiving an offer from them is given my current grade profile.

For my GCSEs I achieved only a a a a b b c c, which I deem to be mediocre at best for a Cambridge application. Though I know my personal statement is very strong and I have an excellent set of references as well as high UMS scores at As and A2. Further, I understand that Theology and religion is one of the universities less competitive courses.

What do you people reckon my chances are with such a prestigious institution? Is it worth the bother?

Many thanks,

Austrian Theory

You are in the same situation as me . I had A*AA in my a levels with daily same set of GCSEs like yours . And I'm also on a gap year which I have spent in 3 different countries .

I think you should definitely give it a shot . Cambs have been very generous this year and have a lot of people a place . I hope the same for next year also .

Thanks for the reply, that's good to know. At the moment I think I will give it a shot, but that could change on a whim! Are you going to apply then? If so, to which college?
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.