The Student Room Group

Applying to UCL medicine

Sorry to gatecrash your thread but I was hoping there may be some current UCL med students on here who can help answer a question. My DC has to decide by the end of the weekend whether to go to UCL for Medicine or not.
They are very bright but A level exam performance did not reflect ability and hard work they put in and was 3 grades lower than predicted when results came out yesterday. If they go, they would have amongst the lowest A level grades when starting first year I suspect.

I suspect they may have mild dyslexia which is becoming more apparent higher up school.

Is it true that if DC was to fail one end of first year exam at UCL they would have to resit all of the first year exams?
How many people are kicked out of UCL medicine each year?

How understanding are the faculty about DC who may have eg dyslexia?

DC also has unconditional offer of a place elsewhere (less academic reputation) but needs to decide quickly.

Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Sorry to gatecrash your thread but I was hoping there may be some current UCL med students on here who can help answer a question. My DC has to decide by the end of the weekend whether to go to UCL for Medicine or not.
They are very bright but A level exam performance did not reflect ability and hard work they put in and was 3 grades lower than predicted when results came out yesterday. If they go, they would have amongst the lowest A level grades when starting first year I suspect.

I suspect they may have mild dyslexia which is becoming more apparent higher up school.

Is it true that if DC was to fail one end of first year exam at UCL they would have to resit all of the first year exams?

DC also has unconditional offer of a place elsewhere (less academic reputation) but needs to decide quickly.

I'll ask the mods to move this to a separate thread, as this isn't what the med students' soc is for. Also, this isn't mumsnet - no need for "DC" here!

He/she has still met their offer, despite not achieving predictions, am I right? So we're talking AAA instead of A*A*A*? If he/she has met a medicine offer, and still wants to do the course, then they'd be mad not to go! Nobody will be very interested in A-level grades once they get to uni, and "only" having AAA certainly is no indication that they'd struggle with the course/being a doctor. There are plenty of great doctors with considerably worse A-level grades!

I can't speak for UCL specifically, but all universities will have some form of learning support centre, so if your child thinks he/she may be dyslexic they can access assessment and support there. If diagnosed with dyslexia there will be support offered e.g. extra time in some exams.

I don't know UCL's specific exam policy, but it's very rare for students to get completely kicked off the course purely for exam failure - probably <5% per year, if that.

In short, if your child still wants to be a doctor, send him/her to medical school!
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous

Edit: beaten to it.

They met their offer? Then they won't be 'behind' anyone. You have absolutely no indication they're going to struggle - this is just your disappointment talking.

If you want to get a dyslexia diagnosis talk to the med school - they will have a department who can organise a test.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending