The Student Room Group

Economics- Further Maths?

Hi All,
So I think I've asked this question before, but I am still absolutely stuck... This year I am applying for Oxford (Economics and Management), Bath, Exeter to study Economics. Yesterday I got 4 A's in my AS results, Maths Politics Ecnomics and History. (Massive relief). However, my big concern is the question of Further Maths.
My two options are: keep all 4 A-Levels which I'm sure I can get at least an A in, (offers will be A*AA), or drop poilitics and pick up Further Maths, which a lot of people point out is highly desirable.
If anyone has an experience/knowledge/advice, it would be greatly appreciated. Need to decide before going back to college so I don't get caught up with first years changing their minds!
I was originally considering E&M and I was highly recommended to offer further maths, even if it's just the AS, as it is highly desirable and shows your mathematical ability. Whilst the website says single A level is the requirement having FM is an advantage. Now the offer is normally just 3 subjects, and therefore you could consider further maths like a bonus subject with the other 3 being used as the main offer for grades.
Original post by Xphoenix
I was originally considering E&M and I was highly recommended to offer further maths, even if it's just the AS, as it is highly desirable and shows your mathematical ability. Whilst the website says single A level is the requirement having FM is an advantage. Now the offer is normally just 3 subjects, and therefore you could consider further maths like a bonus subject with the other 3 being used as the main offer for grades.

I understand it's an advantage... But would it really be worth it? I wouldn't complete it in time to have a grade so could only mention it on my personal statement... Plus would it not be quite good to have 4 full A levels? Also give me more of a chance at getting more A*s.
Original post by Xphoenix

I understand it's an advantage... But would it really be worth it? I wouldn't complete it in time to have a grade so could only mention it on my personal statement... Plus would it not be quite good to have 4 full A levels? Also give me more of a chance at getting more A*s.
Original post by DeafeningSilence

It's your call, but let me offer my advice. I'm still considering whether to do the AS or finish it off to A2. Yes, it's good to have 4 full A levels, as you have more chances to get an A*, but also you have to think about your workload. If you have too much work it might actually hinder your other subjects.

Can I ask what do you mean by not completing it in time??? You don't even need to complete it in time or mention it on your statement as you fill in UCAS forms with subjects etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending