Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Relationships at uni... Mr Right or Mr Right Now?

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

(Original post by SpiritSharD)
    Definitely. I was actually ready for marriage but, well, circumstances changed. As long as people go into it with the right mentality then younger is fine, in my opinion.

Good luck with your wedding. Make sure you share the photos!
    That's understandable if your circumstances change. Thank you We re off venue hunting tomorrow so it won't be till next autumn but shall share a photo when the day comes.

Open yourself but do not settle on any particular outcome.

Not encouraging you to get into a relationship by any means but life is full of so many uncertainties. Lots and lots and lots of them. It just seems like you're the type of person who overthinks things and may be have a tendency to link irrelevant milestones to each other through random ifs and thens.

And from what I've read in books about various personality types this pattern of thinking generally makes people miss out on great opportunities in life including their careers.

From the other side of things, I met who I thought was the love of my life at university. We had a wonderful relationship. At first, everything was fine, but then I started to get a lot of anxiety about the future. I need to learn to live with uncertainty, because it caused me a ton of worries in my relationship.

Like you, I don't really want to live in London in the future (although I would have for him) but he loved it. We ended up breaking up because he planned to move countries. I was willing to follow him because I still have no idea what I want to do career wise and like to travel, but he wouldn't let me because he felt I was sacrificing too much.

I appreciate the experience of being in a relationship and have some amazing memories with him, but this has messed me up. I wanted to marry him. Now I'm unsure if I'm going to find someone who I'll feel that way for again. So this is just another perspective.

That said, everyone and every situation is different. If the person you're with is willing to make sacrifices and also let you make some sacrifices for them, then location should not matter. As long as you're both not sacrificing too much, I say it is worth it to go ahead with these things

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I should just find a relationship which may only last a few years, rather than pressure myself into finding 'the one'
    You're perhaps prescient to be circumspect but drawing a false dichotemy. Just get some dating experience and go with your gut e.g. if you meet a nice guy and really gel then see where it leads whilst keeping your feet on the ground and being perfectly open about the uncertainties you've detailed in this post. Coincidentally I've just touched on some of the psychological factors implicit in your OP in this response in another thread!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.