Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

GCSE history AND geography?!

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

Is there anyone that does gcse history as well as geography as i'm thinking to choose both for my gcse options and it would help me if you shared an opinion on what it's like studying both

(Original post by Amethyst_)
    Is there anyone that does gcse history as well as geography as i'm thinking to choose both for my gcse options and it would help me if you shared an opinion on what it's like studying both
    I am currently doing A levels in both history and geography and did GCSEs in these too. I wouldn't say that the courses are too challenging, you just have to have a keen interest in the humanities area. Geography will consist of a wide range of topic areas such as tectonics and coastal landscapes as well as population and migration. Whilst history will be about the twentieth century and will likely involve American, German, British and Russian history. I really enjoyed the GCSE courses so if you have liked history and geography before, I think you will too.

I did them both at GCSE. I preferred History much more than Geography but I always got the same for both of them in my mocks. However I don't think taking them both was too much work, though. You might find the year 11's above might have overreacted to them as they did in my school but when I got to them I didn't find them all that difficult. And when it gets to revision make sure you focus slightly more on Geography because I've always found the content and facts in History much easier to remember than Geography (depending on the topics your school does)

I do history and geography, sitting my exams next year. I would only recommend you to do it if you have a genuine interest and a thirst for knowledge. If not, you'll find the course tedious and to have too much writing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i did both and they're very different, history is heavily content based: dates, name, events, laws, long ass essays. really enjoyed history, geography is easy, but rather bland/boring towards year 11.

geography is like science (though some science fanatic would angrily deny this but whatever) you remember a process, you can use it in your answers over and over, then there's the study case. some exam board makes you remember specific cases, some exam board like wjec (one i took) lets you remember any cases which is handy when you forget the ones you learn, you can just make some up on the spot (not crazy ones of course).

I say take history if you can manage to remember a ton of ****, if you can stuff numbers in your brain, names, name of events, causes and outcomes over a period of possibly 100 years (one of my exam was America 1930s-2000 looking at two different views: black americans and foreign policy, thats a long long time period).
    If you like a nice 2 years, then take geography, a lot is common sense when it comes to human geo, physical geo isnt that intensive either and it's considered scientific side of geo.

if you can manage both, take both

I did both for my gcses and absolutley loved them both! Whether or not its bearable depends on a lot of things, I was definitley very lucky having two really good teachers and studying interesting topics! It helps if you don't mind a bit of writing too! Only lessons, as well as English, that I actually looked forward to

I did both at IGCSE and found it fine. Geography (at least at IGCSE) didn't involve a lot of essays and was more science based, whilst history was very heavily essay based. That meant they felt like two very different subjects as they involved two totally different skills, so I didn't feel bored doing both.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Cats: Yay or nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.