Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Personal statement advice for mature student after missing my offer?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 12-10-2016

Hi all. I'm 25, never been to uni & missed my offer from Liverpool to study Medicine this week.

I did an Access to Medicine course last year 2015-16, my offer was to get distinctions in all of the modules (15 modules in total). I got distinctions across the board except for 2 modules of Chemistry that I got merits in. I was working full-time throughout the Access course and wrote to explain this as extenuating circumstances with letters from my tutor and employer as evidence. Obviously not enough! The structure of the Access course means you can only sit each module once and you can't re-sit to change your grade. So the results I have is what I'm stuck with.

I'm only interested in Liverpool as I live here with my fiancé who is a run-through trainee at one of the city hospitals. We'll be here for the next 6 years at least. Thankfully for me Liverpool is one of the few medical schools that accept re-applications. Have booked my UKCAT for mid-Sept, aiming for the top decile, and I'm going to work as much as I can as a HCA (I'm on the bank). I'm also waiting to enrol on an evening A-Level in Chemistry, obviously the goal there is to get an A*.

My personal statement was strong last year ... I had done so much volunteering, switched from a 6-yr job in HR to healthcare, had the angle of mature student career change, referenced tonnes of medical reading ... but this year, I'm already anxious. The reason I fell short on my grades is because I took on way too much, I refuse to do that this year, I NEED that A*. Or else that's it. There won't be a third try. So no volunteering. My question is ... how do I pitch my statement, in order to reflect on my need to 'resit' ? I don't want to make excuses. Doctors have to be resilient, resourceful, have excellent time-management and organisation. It's evident I need to improve these things. I think I will be able to prove that I can if I carry out my plan this year as I hope to. Would be very grateful for advice from anybody who can relate to any of this.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.