The Student Room Group

Worth getting a remark?

So I very narrowly missed out on my firm by one grade & I've been thinking about getting one of my Geography papers remarked. I was 7 UMS off of an A which is 5 raw marks (OCR site), fairly close I think for a paper out of 90.

On the other hand I'm hearing that remarks are stricter now and it won't help anything (https://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/may/26/gcse-a-level-exam-appeals-remarks-change-tougher-challenge-results ).

Not a disaster if I don't get it remarked because I've been accepted by my insurance uni which is great, but on the other hand it's quite close and obviously i want to get into my first choice. Kinda stuck here - a successful remark would be nice but having not done many remarks before, I'm not sure how likely it is and worry that it might just be a waste of money.Thoughts would be appreciated :smile:
I would say hold on to the offer you already have, it does depend on how long it takes for a remark as well. as uni starts next month it ll be unwise for you to get your loans and other registrations done last minute. Give a call and enquire on your remark.
It's quite expensive to get a remark, but if you are willing to lose the money if your grade doesnt change (has to be a grade change as opposed to just a mark change to get the money back), then you may as well go for it, as you'll always wonder! If you do go for it, let your firm university know. As long as you do a priority remark you will get it back within the end of August deadline for meeting your firm's offer.

Also be aware, 5 raw marks is quite a lot and the likelihood is your mark won't go up by that much. So jusy try not to get your hopes up too much! Also be aware that it can go down, so unless you have a big buffer to the grade below then i wouldnt do it as this may affect your insurance offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending