Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Soft/hard subjects

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I see so many people on here asking others what they thought about the subjects they want to study such as sociology, history, media studies, food technology, art, psychology, languages etc.

And there will always be several people responding with things along the lines of "no you need to do STEM subjects" or "lol you're having a joke" or "they're all soft subjects, you won't get into a top uni"

Does it really matter though? I know for certain courses like medicine and dentistry you need STEM. But I personally believe you don't need STEM for everything to do well in life. I do find it rather annoying when close minded people look down on those who don't do STEM.

There are many careers that doesn't need STEM subjects like law, primary teaching, chefs, linguistics and social worker etc.

I think you can do well in any subjects, get into a decent uni and still do well in a career. You can still succeed in a career without doing STEM.

*please no ignorant/rude comments. I'm genuinely wondering whether y'all agree or not*

Well I did sociology and history and am going to study Psychology, all of which are your examples of soft subjects History especially has improved my writing and ability to construct a cohesive and coherent argument, it's more about the transferable skills

There are "hard" subjects that aren't STEM but it's a grey area. Google "Trinity College Cambridge facilitating subjects"

(Original post by EwanWest)
    There are "hard" subjects that aren't STEM but it's a grey area. Google "Trinity College Cambridge facilitating subjects"
    I know. I personally wouldn't say subjects such as psychology, english or history is soft but many people do.

I think the thing is that there are specific careers in those subjects for which they are valuable (i.e. we can't have any psychologists in mental health services if no one studies psychology, we need sociological researchers etc) but unless you are sure of heading down a career track involving your subject STEM is always better, they are just more difficult and better regarded by the top institutions and more competitive jobs... that's not to say there's no value in subjects like art and english - just that people who study them are making themselves less competitive in the job market as there are simply too many graduates in comparison to the number of jobs

What you choose is up to you. However do so in the knowledge that there is a high demand in industry for grads with stem subjects. This is exasperated by the fact not so many people take them. So if you do well in STEM you can take your pick.

By contrast there is low demand for arts and humanities grads and a high number competing for the few subject specific jobs on offer. Those who don't make it are on their own with no saleable skills other than proof of being able to complete a degree which to be be fair counts for something.

Personally I don't know why one wouldn't choose a stem path. The future is easier, better paid and seeking people with those skills.

Good luck!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.