Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Applying to Law

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016

Hi Guys,

Im a first year college student and have just received my grades which were much lower than expected. I only recently decided that I want to study Law, after originally thinking about physiotherapy, but am wondering whats the best course of action from where I am now.

Currently I take Biology, P.E, Psychology and Health and Social (BTEC).

Firstly, Can I apply to study Law with 2 A-levels and a BTEC considering you naturally drop a A-level going into second year?

The reason why I am considering this option is because My P.E grade is low, and the course is linear meaning my grade will carry over to second year. And the assessment which is affecting me is the coursework which I cannot retake.

Can you guys help?

Well that entirely depends on which calibre of universities you're looking at? I would recommend opening a ranking table for law universities in the UK and looking at the top 50 law universities.

Then go to those universities' websites and check what they advertise as their entry requirements for studying law. If their advertised information doesn't answer your question, call their admissions office (this information will also be available on the universities' websites) and ask them.

I wouldn't recommend calling all 50 universities, but if while researching a particular university, you like the look of it or feel like their law course structure appeals to you, then it would make sense to scope out whether your subjects and predicted grades would be enough to meet their minimum requirements.

Nobody on here would be able to give you the specific advice you need to really answer your question adequately. Frankly, only a university admission's officer would be able to give the right information that you could reasonably rely on.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.