The Student Room Group

Need help taking legal action over Plymouth University please.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Forum User
There's nothing in the OP to suggest that he did accept any offer that was made, at least the way I read it.

Well presumably OP accepted the offer on the phone verbally?
Original post by IWMTom
So they made a mistake and you want to take legal action? For what exactly? This isn't America honey, we don't sue everyone and everything for simple issues.

trust fam **** happens. you think a university is gonna let you violate them in court like they aint got some next level lawyers who can back the ting
Reply 22
Original post by #ChaosKass
My advice - get over it.

The staff are under enough stress as it is, it's perfectly normal that they'll make one tiny mistake among the hundreds of calls they're receiving.

Forget about Plymouth, forget about the uni you rejected, and move on. If you have to wait another year then so be it. If anything, this falls on you for missing your firm and insurance offers.

just a mistake? is a mistake enough reason to denounce any wrongdoing or crime?

if that's the case, let's free all the murderers and rapists from prison. idiot.
Original post by Yua
just a mistake? is a mistake enough reason to denounce any wrongdoing or crime?

if that's the case, let's free all the murderers and rapists from prison. idiot.

So you're comparing a tiny little admin error to murder? Okay...
Reply 24
My advice - get over it.

The staff are under enough stress as it is, it's perfectly normal that they'll make one tiny mistake among the hundreds of calls they're receiving.

Forget about Plymouth, forget about the uni you rejected, and move on. If you have to wait another year then so be it. If anything, this falls on you for missing your firm and insurance offers.

Oh shut up, troll

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
So you're comparing a tiny little admin error to murder? Okay...

I can't respond to that, you didn't address my point.
Original post by IWMTom
I think the fact of the matter here is that OP stated they wish to take LEGAL ACTION against a UNIVERSITY. Granted, they have every right to be upset, and I feel for them, but the actual thought process for this thread's title is laughable.

Not laughable at all and fail to understand why you are being so unhelpful.

Thye made an unconditional offer, the op accepted and now they have reneged.

The OP's issue is proof, but if they cna prove it then they would win.
Original post by infairverona
Well presumably OP accepted the offer on the phone verbally?

I have no idea, all I'm saying is that the OP doesn't say anything about him accepting any offer that might have been made.
OP you should contact the student Uni amd ask where you should submit an official complaint. I would put one in but you need evidence. You need to identify the person who made you the offer via phone logs. If you can trace them and they admit to saying what they did, then it would be uncomfortable for them and they might relent. Its worth a shot imo.

The issue is you arent a student there yet, so the complaints procedure is less clear.

https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/student-life/your-studies/essential-information/complaints-appeals-and-conduct

https://www.upsu.com/advice/
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by 999tigger
Not laughable at all and fail to understand why you are being so unhelpful.

Thye made an unconditional offer, the op accepted and now they have reneged.

The OP's issue is proof, but if they cna prove it then they would win.

Win what? There's no contract to show in court, and no laws broken - OP has no recourse but to move the f*** on and stop wasting their time.
Original post by AmusedDouche
Hi,

Plymouth University made me an unconditional offer through clearing yesterday for their Optometry course, They said they would email me confirmation of the offer, and accommodation details. They told me not to do anything else, not to call or contact them, but to wait for their email,

Today they rang me back saying the course was full. I am obviously pissed off, as their offer lead me to refuse another offer. I rang them to make a complaint, and the complaints manager told me the reception staff had only received 3 days training for clearing, and apologised for any mistakes. He then said that he had no way of verifying the details, and when I gave him the time of the call he said calls weren't recorded.*

What do I do?*

You can't do anything legal. You shouldn't have turned down your other offer until you had received a formal (ie evidence-able) confirmation from Plymouth. You've spoken to them, you've got an apology, stop looking backwards and focus on what your options are now. You could write formally to the Director of Admissions at Plymouth, and ask for your offer to be reviewed, but you should still be trying to get in other places at the same time.
Reply 32
Original post by AmusedDouche
Hi,

Plymouth University made me an unconditional offer through clearing yesterday for their Optometry course, They said they would email me confirmation of the offer, and accommodation details. They told me not to do anything else, not to call or contact them, but to wait for their email,

Today they rang me back saying the course was full. I am obviously pissed off, as their offer lead me to refuse another offer. I rang them to make a complaint, and the complaints manager told me the reception staff had only received 3 days training for clearing, and apologised for any mistakes. He then said that he had no way of verifying the details, and when I gave him the time of the call he said calls weren't recorded.*

What do I do?*

Hi,

This is a really frustrating situation to be in and I would be fuming, you are right to be angry.

It will be impossible to take legal action though - as others have said, it's a university and you have very little evidence, plus to others it is a very minor issue.

I would suggest calling the university again - nag them, to be honest. You have nothing to lose. Try different contact numbers for your department, and admissions, speak to different people and see if there is anyone who can do something. Be polite and try to get some sympathy - don't threaten legal action!!

At the same time, get back in touch with the university whose offer you turned down. Try to explain in the most diplomatic way you can, that your situation at the time changed very unpredictably and that actually with hindsight you would have taken the offer - ask if it is still open as an option to you.

Finally, try to get in touch with some other unis who may still have spaces.

Also ignore everyone who is bickering on here about the law, UCAS, universities, having sympathy and so on. Don't get bogged down on TSR, just try the above steps and stay calm, all is not lost, clearing is a stressful and unpredictable time!
Original post by IWMTom
Win what? There's no contract to show in court, and no laws broken - OP has no recourse but to move the f*** on and stop wasting their time.

Why isnt there a contract?
If she can locate the phone logs or the person who made the offer, then she would have recourse. The offer was unconditional and it was accepted.
Original post by abc:)
Hi,

This is a really frustrating situation to be in and I would be fuming, you are right to be angry.

It will be impossible to take legal action though - as others have said, it's a university and you have very little evidence, plus to others it is a very minor issue.

I would suggest calling the university again - nag them, to be honest. You have nothing to lose. Try different contact numbers for your department, and admissions, speak to different people and see if there is anyone who can do something. Be polite and try to get some sympathy - don't threaten legal action!!

At the same time, get back in touch with the university whose offer you turned down. Try to explain in the most diplomatic way you can, that your situation at the time changed very unpredictably and that actually with hindsight you would have taken the offer - ask if it is still open as an option to you.

Finally, try to get in touch with some other unis who may still have spaces.

Also ignore everyone who is bickering on here about the law, UCAS, universities, having sympathy and so on. Don't get bogged down on TSR, just try the above steps and stay calm, all is not lost, clearing is a stressful and unpredictable time!

Lol about ignoring people. Ive highlighted exactly what the OPs issue is plis provided relevant links as to how they might lodge a complaint. Whether or not there is a contract is fyndamental as to whether they have anything actionable.

OP put an official complaint in to the right people, which means its harder to ignore. Theres a good chance the person will own up if they cna be located and then they might relent. You have nothing to lose at least for a complaint.

Plus im only basing it on exactly what you have said.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Forum User
I think you mean 'verbal contracts are binding'? In general, no offer, verbal or otherwise, is binding.

Except it was unconditional and it was accepted.
A verbal contract is binding assuming it meets the standard requirements.
Reply 36
Can I suggest trying optometry at Aston as I saw they still have some spaces in clearing a while a go? I'm sorry for this horrible incident that had happened to you and I wish you the best
Reply 37
Why isnt there a contract?
If she can locate the phone logs or the person who made the offer, then she would have recourse. The offer was unconditional and it was accepted.

Until the offer is accepted on Track there simply is not an acceptance. Clearing is a busy time, databases take a while to update, there is a delay for everything - OP should NOT have rejected another offer without fully knowing they had a definite place - it is their wrongdoing, albeit under swayed circumstances.

There is no legal recourse. Period.
Original post by IWMTom
Until the offer is accepted on Track there simply is not an acceptance. Clearing is a busy time, databases take a while to update, there is a delay for everything - OP should NOT have rejected another offer without fully knowing they had a definite place - it is their wrongdoing, albeit under swayed circumstances.

There is no legal recourse. Period.

It was unconditional. To cement that they even told the OP to take a detrimental course of action, which she did.

If a condition was you have accepted whne it logs on track then fair enough, but the uni didnt say that. They led them to believe and they believed themselves there was a contract. The OP has done nothing wrong, but you seem keen to blame them.
Except it was unconditional and it was accepted.
A verbal contract is binding assuming it meets the standard requirements.

As I said, there is nothing whatsoever in the OP about any purported offer being accepted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending