The Student Room Group

Gender preference in the Student accomodation halls?

So when I was signing up today for student accomodation, I was asked what gender block I want to be in. He said single or mixed and I wasn't sure what would be more enjoyable or which would be a better experience. I said single (so only male) but I'm having second thoughts about it? Maybe it would be better in a block with both as I might enjoy being round more of a variation or personalities idk haha. What are your guys opinion on what's better? Thanks
I don't know. I am currently in the Xir Block

But seriously I would prefer a mixed block I think, more chance to be social but I would say it would depend more on the people there and not the Gender
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
I think it'd be better to have the range of mixed, unless you have something against other genders or privacy concerns.
Reply 3
Mixed easily.
Single is simpler (many more horror stories about living with girls or in mixed accom than just guys) and more social as you'll mix more with the other gender flats.

Although if you're doing a course with a strong male gender bias such as engineering it would probably still be a good idea to go with mixed.
Original post by rajanrai
So when I was signing up today for student accomodation, I was asked what gender block I want to be in. He said single or mixed and I wasn't sure what would be more enjoyable or which would be a better experience. I said single (so only male) but I'm having second thoughts about it? Maybe it would be better in a block with both as I might enjoy being round more of a variation or personalities idk haha. What are your guys opinion on what's better? Thanks

Hello :smile:

Personally, I believe mixed is better. When I lived in halls I live on a corridor with around 40 other people and it was half and half, half males and half females and I think it made a better social experience as you wasn't limited to one gender etc so all in all, it was a good experience and I preferred that to living with the same gender.

Best of luck :smile:
Reply 6
I can't remember if I got to choose but I'd say mixed, I get on more easily with girls than boys tbh

gay-best-friend-but-not-gay sorta thing :lol:
I think mixed is slightly better as each gender offsets some of the flaws of the other (e.g. girls tend to be *****ier and worse at dealing with problems whereas guys can just not be well housetrained!) but I wouldn't stress too much, boys are definitely easier than an all girl flat and it depends a lot more on who those people are than their gender anyway

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending