The Student Room Group

Russia bans female genital mutilation, jail up to 10 years

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bornblue
FGM is a cultural thing rather than a religious one. It's utterly disgusting and should be banned.

Posted from TSR Mobile

good post!
FGM is a cultural thing rather than a religious one. It's utterly disgusting and should be banned.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then Explain Indonesia
Original post by BaconandSauce
Then Explain Indonesia

Explain non-Muslim countries in sub-saharan Africa
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Explain non-Muslim countries in sub-saharan Africa

you go first
I probably wouldn't survive in Russia as a brown person and a gay rights supporter but good on them!
Original post by BaconandSauce
Then Explain Indonesia

What?
FGM is practiced by a lot of Muslim communities, but in and of itself it is not a religious practice, in the way that male circumcision is.

In Egypt for example it is practiced by Muslim and Christian communities. There was even a Jewish group in Ethiopia, called 'Beta Israel' who partook in the practice.
Original post by Aj12
Or maybe because it can be medically required in some cases.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But the vast majority of cases, certainly in the Western world are not medically required but rather required by religion.
It's astonishing that we remove part of a baby boy's genitalia, without giving them any choice in the matter. If you want a circumcision then you should be given the choice to decide for yourself when you are of an age to validly consent to the practice.
Reply 27
But the vast majority of cases, certainly in the Western world are not medically required but rather required by religion.
It's astonishing that we remove part of a baby boy's genitalia, without giving them any choice in the matter. If you want a circumcision then you should be given the choice to decide for yourself when you are of an age to validly consent to the practice.

I agree but it is a somewhat more complex issue than FGM, which as far as I am aware has absolutely no medical reasoning in any case. Circumcision for men can have a purpose and is not legal simply because someone is worried about offending Jews and Muslims. I wonder whether banning male circumcision except when medically needed would be as easy to enforce as FGM.
Original post by Aj12
I agree but it is a somewhat more complex issue than FGM, which as far as I am aware has absolutely no medical reasoning in any case. Circumcision for men can have a purpose and is not legal simply because someone is worried about offending Jews and Muslims. I wonder whether banning male circumcision except when medically needed would be as easy to enforce as FGM.

FGM is certainly worse than MGM but that doesn't excuse the latter.
Yes in certain cases there will be a medical need, but such cases are the minority.

I see no reason whatsoever that we cannot ban circumcision for under 18s, except in medical cases.

Quick Reply

Latest