The Student Room Group

AS chemistry result help???

Okay so I got my AS results back yesterday and in Chemistry I got a D... Now this was a huge shock for myself and my teachers as I was on track for an A all year round! I don't know how this could have happened? I used two additional exam booklets during each Chemistry exam as I have extra time so I would rewrite my answers so that they were legible and when I'd written the incorrect answer. Now I'm doubting whether they've been marked, as in one exam I forgot to put my exam no. on and realised and checked with the examiner and she told me not to worry. As coming out of a frantic exam I didn't quite think anything of it... However, after speaking to my Chem teacher now who's in shock with my grade, I'm beginning to think somethings gone wrong with the marking of my extra papers... How likely do you think this is? I'm hoping to study medicine, and I've gone from 5 A* and 5 A's at GCSE TO CCD :frown:
Original post by elationgirl
Okay so I got my AS results back yesterday and in Chemistry I got a D... Now this was a huge shock for myself and my teachers as I was on track for an A all year round! I don't know how this could have happened? I used two additional exam booklets during each Chemistry exam as I have extra time so I would rewrite my answers so that they were legible and when I'd written the incorrect answer. Now I'm doubting whether they've been marked, as in one exam I forgot to put my exam no. on and realised and checked with the examiner and she told me not to worry. As coming out of a frantic exam I didn't quite think anything of it... However, after speaking to my Chem teacher now who's in shock with my grade, I'm beginning to think somethings gone wrong with the marking of my extra papers... How likely do you think this is? I'm hoping to study medicine, and I've gone from 5 A* and 5 A's at GCSE TO CCD :frown:

I'm in a similar situation as I was getting A's in chemistry all year and now have gotten E. So am considering talking to my teachers about doing mocks when school starts to get my predicted grades up.

Original post by imanonymous123
I'm in a similar situation as I was getting A's in chemistry all year and now have gotten E. So am considering talking to my teachers about doing mocks when school starts to get my predicted grades up.

I'd recommend asking your teachers if possible, to give you the papers under controlled circumstances (very doubtful they'd give you a soft copy or a hard copy to take away with you) and then they go through it and mark it with you. Thing is, with the new specs released, there isn't much content but I doubt it has changed THAT much from the last specification.
At A level, exam technique is a BIG issue and sorry to say, is also the biggest kick in the teeth you'll ever get at Sixth Form/College. I am a third year Biomedical Science student and I HATED A levels because of this issue... so picky and the nitty gritty crap is ridiculous... (A levels are the hardest things I have ever done in my life period...)

Are either of you thinking of retaking the year to give your grades a boost or just going straight through?

if you think there's a chance some of your answers werent marked, it's probably worth requesting a photocopy of your script, so you can see whether everything is there
I've had the same thing with physics! I wasn't exactly an A-grade student; I was consistently getting B's in class and I even got a B in the mock exam. However, I got a D in the AS physics exam this year. I'm definitely not THAT bad so i'm thinking maybe it was marked harshly/unfairly?! :\
Reply 5
Original post by Scienceisgood
I'd recommend asking your teachers if possible, to give you the papers under controlled circumstances (very doubtful they'd give you a soft copy or a hard copy to take away with you) and then they go through it and mark it with you. Thing is, with the new specs released, there isn't much content but I doubt it has changed THAT much from the last specification.
At A level, exam technique is a BIG issue and sorry to say, is also the biggest kick in the teeth you'll ever get at Sixth Form/College. I am a third year Biomedical Science student and I HATED A levels because of this issue... so picky and the nitty gritty crap is ridiculous... (A levels are the hardest things I have ever done in my life period...)

Are either of you thinking of retaking the year to give your grades a boost or just going straight through?

I would retake the year as CCD is awful in my eyes especially as I wasn't receiving this from all of my mocks. However, I know that'd I'd stand no chance gaining a medical interview as I won't have completed studying my A levels within 2 years. However, as they don't count I don't really see the point but they do towards my target grades so I'm extremely undecided.
I would retake the year as CCD is awful in my eyes especially as I wasn't receiving this from all of my mocks. However, I know that'd I'd stand no chance gaining a medical interview as I won't have completed studying my A levels within 2 years. However, as they don't count I don't really see the point but they do towards my target grades so I'm extremely undecided.

At my university (UWE) there is a premed Biomedical Science route which is helpful for people because I believe once you complete the degree (with at least a 2:1), you can proceed directly onto medicine IF YOU WISH and I believe it knocks off the first year off the medicine course making it a 4 year course after.
So, there is more the one way onto medicine other than A levels.

My head of sixth form recommends going through to A2 and working more harder next year and also recognizing where I went wrong.
At my university (UWE) there is a premed Biomedical Science route which is helpful for people because I believe once you complete the degree (with at least a 2:1), you can proceed directly onto medicine IF YOU WISH and I believe it knocks off the first year off the medicine course making it a 4 year course after.
So, there is more the one way onto medicine other than A levels.

Can you please pm me more information about this route? It seems like something I'll really be interested in.
Can you please pm me more information about this route? It seems like something I'll really be interested in.

Sure, but can it wait until tomorrow morning?
Am a little busy now. =)
Am reapplying for my third year right now and filling in all my personal info again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sure, but can it wait until tomorrow morning?
Am a little busy now. =)
Am reapplying for my third year right now and filling in all my personal info again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah sure, thanks. It's not like I can do anything until September anyway.

Here's the info for UWE:

Pred-Med course is a one year course which is basically Biomedicine with A LITTLE extra added onto it but places are VERY limited (I believe it's around 3 places), link: http://courses.uwe.ac.uk/C99H

Biomedical Science: http://courses.uwe.ac.uk/C980/

If you can get onto the course via a foundation year (which you can certainly apply for) and if you can apply for pre-med via the foundation year (phone ahead, I don't know anything about this), then here's the link to the Foundation Science year page: http://www1.uwe.ac.uk/study/courses/foundationcourses.aspx

Check the Biomedical or Healthcare science page and query the university before applying. There's more than one way to get into medicine but A Levels are the most direct (but hardest IMO) way of getting onto it. =)
Here's the info for UWE:

Pred-Med course is a one year course which is basically Biomedicine with A LITTLE extra added onto it but places are VERY limited (I believe it's around 3 places), link: http://courses.uwe.ac.uk/C99H

Biomedical Science: http://courses.uwe.ac.uk/C980/

If you can get onto the course via a foundation year (which you can certainly apply for) and if you can apply for pre-med via the foundation year (phone ahead, I don't know anything about this), then here's the link to the Foundation Science year page: http://www1.uwe.ac.uk/study/courses/foundationcourses.aspx

Check the Biomedical or Healthcare science page and query the university before applying. There's more than one way to get into medicine but A Levels are the most direct (but hardest IMO) way of getting onto it. =)

Thanks, I'll look more into it.
Reply 13
Why don't you consider looking at the six year medicine degree which has lower requirements but you have to meet certain criteria.
Original post by aly.a
Why don't you consider looking at the six year medicine degree which has lower requirements but you have to meet certain criteria.

I don't meet any of the criteria
Reply 15
i had the exact same in my chemistry. I got an E when i had all A's and B's the whole year... And for our school you need at least a D to be able to carry on to A2... So now i dont know what to do.... :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest