The Student Room Group

How To Prep Asian (strict) Parents For GCSE Results Day 2016?

I'm worried I have failed a couple of my subjects and I know I will be disappointing my parents. They are expecting a lot from me and I can't help but think of what will happen when they find out I have to done as well as I perhaps should have (this doesn't necessarily mean its my fault, but only that they expect a LOT from me). Any advice to help my parents understand beforehand so they don't freak out when I receive my results next week? I'm aware that I am not alone with this issue so all advice is appreciated.

Just to add: The main issue for me personally is that I am compared to a lot of people in my family which puts me down the most... because if they could get all A*s then i should be too
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NeedAdvicePls
I'm worried I have failed a couple of my subjects and I know I will be disappointing my parents. They are expecting a lot from me and I can't help but think of what will happen when they find out I have to done as well as I perhaps should have (this doesn't necessarily mean its my fault, but only that they expect a LOT from me). Any advice to help my parents understand beforehand so they don't freak out when I receive my results next week? I'm aware that I am not alone with this issue so all advice is appreciated.
Do you have any cousins/family friends who your parents could potentially compare you to? to put you down.
Tell them to get a life and stop living so vicariously through their child
Original post by hamza772000
Do you have any cousins/family friends who your parents could potentially compare you to? to put you down.

Yup πŸ˜‚
Ngl this thread screams in my face, not literally. πŸ˜‚
Original post by Pinkberry_y
You would never say that to your parents if u were Asian. It's easier said than done :lol:

Original post by Reachin4TheStars
Yup πŸ˜‚
Wait, are you the OP? Is that ur account? :tongue:
I went through this last year and tbh there's no way to prep for it

I remember I even started crying my eyes out that day.

Look at me for example; I didn't get perfect grades but I got into college and I'm now applying for uni. Whatever happens just tell them it's not the end of the world.
You would never say that to your parents if u were Asian. It's easier said than done :lol:

Ok more realistically have an honest and frank discussion with them. Tell them you've tried your absolute hardest in these exams, you can honestly hope for the best and hope it's paid of but there's nothing more you could have done. You want to make the proud but you hope they will be happy for you because you've tried your hardest here

I sooo wish I could tell my parents this

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah i have a lot of family i am compared too.
Ok more realistically have an honest and frank discussion with them. Tell them you've tried your absolute hardest in these exams, you can honestly hope for the best and hope it's paid of but there's nothing more you could have done. You want to make the proud but you hope they will be happy for you because you've tried your hardest here
Thanks, but the OP needs this advice more than me :smile:

Luckily, I'm not in a situation where my parents would flip their sh*t, they know I've tried my hardest, and they've seen it with their very eyes :smile: I posted here because afterall, I am Pakistani :tongue: and I know what it's like havein been compared to others before :redface:

Fortunately, the only thing I'm worried about is my grades and not my parents reaction:smile:

OP, please take note of @Pinkberry_y's post above :smile:
Original post by NeedAdvicePls
Yeah i have a lot of family i am compared too.
Don't wait till results day, I think you should speak to your parents before and tell them how you've tried your absolute best, they might, just might have some sympathy :smile:

Although, they can be really arrogant and stubbirn at times :redface: Who's more stricter, your dad or mum?
Thanks, but the OP needs this advice more than me :smile:

Luckily, I'm not in a situation where my parents would flip their sh*t, they know I've tried my hardest, and they've seen it with their very eyes :smile: I posted here because afterall, I am Pakistani :tongue: and I know what it's like havein been compared to others before :redface:

Fortunately, the only thing I'm worried about is my grades and not my parents reaction:smile:

OP, please take note of @Pinkberry_y's post above :smile:

Oops sorry! I quoted the wrong person! Thought you were OP ahhaa! But cheers! :smile:
How? Just because you don't do great in all subjects doesn't mean you're dumb.
Oops sorry! I quoted the wrong person! Thought you were OP ahhaa! But cheers! :smile:
Np :wink: Thank you too :h:
Lol just organise something to do outside with friends so you stay away from your parents for the day

Nope πŸ˜‚ I'm just in a similar situation to the op lol πŸ˜œπŸ‘πŸΌ
Nope πŸ˜‚ I'm just in a similar situation to the op lol πŸ˜œπŸ‘πŸΌ
lol, ok :tongue:

Btw, I can't see ur emojis, use the TSR ones :tongue:
lol, ok :tongue:

Btw, I can't see ur emojis, use the TSR ones :tongue:

Oki dokey :biggrin:
Oki dokey :biggrin: