The Student Room Group

To all those who got an A*/A in OCR A biology this year

Which revision book did you use? Thanks. Also what was your revision technique? When did you start doing past papers?

Scroll to see replies

Following this thread- I got myself up from a U to a D after really struggling but now I've got my learning technique sorted I need extra tips to get a B/C next year
Reply 2
Original post by ImagineCats
Following this thread- I got myself up from a U to a D after really struggling but now I've got my learning technique sorted I need extra tips to get a B/C next year

What technique did you use? I made flashcards using the CGP book and got a B in AS level this year so that didn't work. Maybe I started making them too late.
Original post by manlike99
What technique did you use? I made flashcards using the CGP book and got a B in AS level this year so that didn't work. Maybe I started making them too late.

Exactly the same as you! What was your GCSE grade/mock grade? I'm pretty proud that I got onto the A2 course tbh. I realised tha technique way too late after I wore myself out from just re-writing the whole text book in my notes and hoping that would work September-April. Tempted to buy the A2 book and start making flashcards now to make life easier when we go back in September...
Reply 4
Original post by ImagineCats
Exactly the same as you! What was your GCSE grade/mock grade? I'm pretty proud that I got onto the A2 course tbh. I realised tha technique way too late after I wore myself out from just re-writing the whole text book in my notes and hoping that would work September-April. Tempted to buy the A2 book and start making flashcards now to make life easier when we go back in September...

Got A at GCSE but didn't revise at all. What about you? And yes I've started that already haha
Reply 5
Bump
I got an A* in OCR A Biology this year (I got 572/600 ums overall, 298/300 ums at A2) - I used the green traditional textbook in combination with the purple textbook, the reason being that the green book often goes into greater depth on some topics that are only brushed over in the purple book, and vice versa, too - e.g. the purple book includes loads on DNA sequencing, the green book much more on applications of urine tests... So that's what I did.

Also... I would print off the specification objectives list and answer every single point, e.g. 'explain how an action potential is generated and transmitted' hence testing my knowledge and understanding very thoroughly for any gaps or possible improvements, e.g. additional keywords... and here I am with A*AA at A level going to UCL to do BSc Biomedical Sciences! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by JoePhillips
I got an A* in OCR A Biology this year (I got 572/600 ums overall, 298/300 ums at A2) - I used the green traditional textbook in combination with the purple textbook, the reason being that the green book often goes into greater depth on some topics that are only brushed over in the purple book, and vice versa, too - e.g. the purple book includes loads on DNA sequencing, the green book much more on applications of urine tests... So that's what I did.

Also... I would print off the specification objectives list and answer every single point, e.g. 'explain how an action potential is generated and transmitted' hence testing my knowledge and understanding very thoroughly for any gaps or possible improvements, e.g. additional keywords... and here I am with A*AA at A level going to UCL to do BSc Biomedical Sciences! :smile:

wow well done man. I'm not sure about which books you mean, please could you link me them? and thanks a lot, good luck for your first year.
Reply 10
bump
Anybody know if new versions of the purple textbook are out for the new syllabus? We have new ones that are green (not sure if they're the same), is it worth getting the purple textbook as well?
Reply 12
I ended up getting an A*. If anyone wants any help, feel free to ask :smile:

At my school we are using the kerboodle books and I am hating them so much....do you have any book suggestions i could use instead? and also any other tips for biology? i need to get an A/A* for medicine this year :/

Well done.
What resources did you use? And what advice would you give ?
Original post by TasnimCh
At my school we are using the kerboodle books and I am hating them so much....do you have any book suggestions i could use instead? and also any other tips for biology? i need to get an A/A* for medicine this year :/

I also got an A*. I thought that the OCR textbooks were great for notes as were the CGP revision guide (I mostly used the latter tbh). More importantly it's about doing as many past papers as possible and understanding the thought-process behind the answers on the mark scheme. Biology certainly wasn't my best subject but I did all his and got a top grade
Got 100 ums to my surprise.
Used the textbook (purple one) and the cgp revision guide for the new 2015 spec. Also search for biozone workbooks. They are good.
Original post by PutinPls
Got 100 ums to my surprise.
Used the textbook (purple one) and the cgp revision guide for the new 2015 spec. Also search for biozone workbooks. They are good.

Well done! There's no UMS in the new a-levels however
suffice to say 40 raw marks above the a* boundary is going to be 100UMS
thanks though :smile:
Original post by studentsixth
Well done! There's no UMS in the new a-levels however
CGP book, read it an hour before exam, no prior revision and got an A.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending