The Student Room Group

Teaching career

Hi I am a business, accounting and IT graduate. I have done University degree in Commerce, business and accounting. I have done my Master degree in Strategic Business IT. I have teaching experience of 8 years , teaching in various levels. I am looking forward to teach Business or IT in secondary or college level. Could you please advice me how to go about and whats the career prospects in it.
Someone who teaches the subject can correct me, but I'm under the impression that IT courses are largely being superseded by Computing.

To teach in Secondary you would need some kind of teaching qualification (a PGCE/QTS) which can be got through traditional uni courses or the newer School Direct or SCITT courses. Depending on your subject andd degree classification bursaries of various amounts may be available. The government puts a fair bit of info online about all this. I suggest you google 'get into teaching' and you can explore your options there.

To teach FE the options are a bit different. I googled 'teach fe uk' and it brought up some info.
Original post by sibhbhatt
Hi I am a business, accounting and IT graduate. I have done University degree in Commerce, business and accounting. I have done my Master degree in Strategic Business IT. I have teaching experience of 8 years , teaching in various levels. I am looking forward to teach Business or IT in secondary or college level. Could you please advice me how to go about and whats the career prospects in it.

Yup. IT has now gone from the vast majority of schools. Where it does still exist, it's only at KS3 (combined with computer science to form 'Computing') as KS4 and KS5 academic qualifications are in their last year. BTECs will remain but they'll soon stop being counted in a variety of measures so they'll probably be dropped from the majority of schools too.

For a computer science PGCE with an IT background, you may need to go through a Subject Knowledge Enhancement beforehand if you don't quite meet the course's requirements. The bursaries are good and computer science teachers are in demand but the content is difficult to learn and worse to teach without a solid knowledge behind you. If you're willing to learn, there are loads of subject courses out there to prepare you.
Original post by ParadoxSocks
Yup. IT has now gone from the vast majority of schools. Where it does still exist, it's only at KS3 (combined with computer science to form 'Computing':wink: as KS4 and KS5 academic qualifications are in their last year. BTECs will remain but they'll soon stop being counted in a variety of measures so they'll probably be dropped from the majority of schools too.

For a computer science PGCE with an IT background, you may need to go through a Subject Knowledge Enhancement beforehand if you don't quite meet the course's requirements. The bursaries are good and computer science teachers are in demand but the content is difficult to learn and worse to teach without a solid knowledge behind you. If you're willing to learn, there are loads of subject courses out there to prepare you.

Glad you found this. I tried to tag you into it earlier and it wasn't working.:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending