The Student Room Group

Future applicant with a lot of questions

Hello there !

I'm a French student entering my last year in High School, and I'd really like to apply for uni in the UK. I know I registered on ucas quite early, but I'm glad I did, as seeing everything that needs to be completed is quite scary and raised a lot of questions. I hope all my questions belong in this section, I think they do, if not I apologize. Here are my questions :

1) I'm French ahah, so how do you think I should enter my marks ? We don't get letters, instead our grades are out of 20 or 40, but I don't know if it makes sense to write them down like that. (example : 14/20)

2) School has not begun yet, but I don't think I'll be able to get predicted grades. Should I contact the universities that interest me, or is it tolerated in the case of a EU applicant ?

3) When I write the subjects' names in ucas, do I need to translate them ? I noticed some of them don't have an equivalent in English...

Thanks a lot for any help you could provide ! (and I hope it's not considered too early to ask questions about application in mid-August ahah)
Original post by Bellamione
Hello there !

I'm a French student entering my last year in High School, and I'd really like to apply for uni in the UK. I know I registered on ucas quite early, but I'm glad I did, as seeing everything that needs to be completed is quite scary and raised a lot of questions. I hope all my questions belong in this section, I think they do, if not I apologize. Here are my questions :

1) I'm French ahah, so how do you think I should enter my marks ? We don't get letters, instead our grades are out of 20 or 40, but I don't know if it makes sense to write them down like that. (example : 14/20)

2) School has not begun yet, but I don't think I'll be able to get predicted grades. Should I contact the universities that interest me, or is it tolerated in the case of a EU applicant ?

3) When I write the subjects' names in ucas, do I need to translate them ? I noticed some of them don't have an equivalent in English...

Thanks a lot for any help you could provide ! (and I hope it's not considered too early to ask questions about application in mid-August ahah)

I would say to translate all subjects into English

Yes contact unis
Reply 2
You write what you got. So if you for 14/20, you put that. Do not try to convert to A Levels or any other qualifications.

Speak to your teacher so that you are sure you can't get predicted grades. If you contact any university and say "i dont think I can get them" the uni will just ask you to confirm that. If your teacher definitely won't give you a prediction, ask them to explain why. You can then contact the uni with that explanation to see if they can give you an offer without predicted grades.

You translate subject names. If there is no direct translation just try your best. You must leave the overall qualification name in the original language, though. So you say you took the Arbitur, and studied maths.
Reply 3
Thank you to both of you for your anwsers, they really help. (I noticed I posted two identical threads, sorry that wasn't intended)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending