The Student Room Group

A-Level Choices??

People of TSR!
I am struggling to choose between A-level English Lit and A-level Drama; which is better as a subject, which is more worthwhile to devote 2 years of advanced study?
I have decided to do A-level French and History, which combine a mix of written prose and memory, so taking into consideration these 2 firm choices, which would balance equally as a third choice?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jordi_Carter
People of TSR!
I am struggling to choose between A-level English Lit and A-level Drama; which is better as a subject, which is more worthwhile to devote 2 years of advanced study?
I have decided to do A-level French and History, which combine a mix of written prose and memory, so taking into consideration these 2 firm choices, which would balance equally as a third choice?

English Lit

Though what do you want to do at uni?
I'd probably do English-Lit with them ☺️ Because drama has a lot to remember and that would become really hard with history 💖 But I ain't the best at choices 🙈
Original post by LPauling
English Lit

Though what do you want to do at uni?

Thinking of studying Languages or French with History (as a joint course) but I do enjoy Drama and English both equally :s-smilie:
Original post by Reachin4TheStars
I'd probably do English-Lit with them ☺️ Because drama has a lot to remember and that would become really hard with history 💖 But I ain't the best at choices 🙈

Haha same i'm not that great with choices either, but thank you for the advice
-surely English Lit has a lot to remember??
Thinking of studying Languages or French with History (as a joint course) but I do enjoy Drama and English both equally :s-smilie:

Then I would say do English
Haha same i'm not that great with choices either, but thank you for the advice
-surely English Lit has a lot to remember??

👍🏼 lol and I'm happy to help! ❤️
Yup but then drama got so much like actions and words and what part you gotta play and I would think English lit would be slightly easier 😃
I think English Literature would look better on your application, as it is generally more favourably looked upon by universities and would be more relevant to your degree choices than Drama :smile:
I'm doing History and French and doing English Lit with the two, so probably a bit biased (:tongue:) but I think it would be better to go with English Lit - it's a well respected, facilitating A-Level.
Original post by LPauling
Then I would say do English

seems like a better choice, doesn't it? thank you so much!!
If you can cope with the work then English lit - it's viewed far higher in the eyes of employers and universities and would definitely aid a degree in any language or history.
English Lit is great but be wary if you do the AQA board, my school has had many bad experiences with the marking in the past.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by cherryblossoming
I'm doing History and French and doing English Lit with the two, so probably a bit biased (:tongue:) but I think it would be better to go with English Lit - it's a well respected, facilitating A-Level.

ahhh very nice choices :biggrin: thank you for the advice <3
Since you enjoy both of them then I would advise English - it will ''look better'' considering your other choices whereas drama is something you can easily do outside of education whereas English not so much :smile:
Original post by Guardianbright
English Lit is great but be wary if you do the AQA board, my school has had many bad experiences with the marking in the past.

the sixth form I've applied to go to in September does English lit with OCR, i'm not sure if//how that differs, if you have any info on OCR English lit is, that would be appreciated!!
ahhh very nice choices :biggrin: thank you for the advice <3

Original post by xSailorMoonQueen
Since you enjoy both of them then I would advise English - it will ''look better'' considering your other choices whereas drama is something you can easily do outside of education whereas English not so much :smile:

I have been thinking about keeping up drama outside-of-school for a long time so I think I will pick English lit and just do drama out of school! thanks so much for your advice !!:h::h:
the sixth form I've applied to go to in September does English lit with OCR, i'm not sure if//how that differs, if you have any info on OCR English lit is, that would be appreciated!!

You should be fine then! Haven't heard anything bad about OCR English Lit, and honestly English lit is an amazing subject to study (I'm studying it at uni in September!)
Original post by cherryblossoming

law seems like a difficult subject to study, good luck with it and I wish you all the best, i'm sure you'll do fine :u:
Original post by Guardianbright
You should be fine then! Haven't heard anything bad about OCR English Lit, and honestly English lit is an amazing subject to study (I'm studying it at uni in September!)

Oh wow, good luck with uni!!!! wish you all the best with your course :u:

Quick Reply

Latest