Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Non UK/EU resident getting home fee status via father

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad course - waste of time? 17-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    I am a UK passport holder living outside the UK and EU. I want to apply to university in the UK but my family can't afford the overseas fees. My Dad is currently applying for indefinite leave to Remain in the UK. My question is if he gets this can I get home status. The rules on the SFA website state that all dependents of ILTR holders can get it, but am I reading it right? My Mum is British, my father African.

    No, I don't believe so. Your fees are determined by where you live, not your citizenship or residency status. You need to live in the UK for three years to be entitled to home fees/loans. Maybe you should consider studying elsewhere in Europe where fees are based on your citizenship (EU passport = no fees in many countries).
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 21, 2016
Would you want to know what your pet is thinking about you?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.