The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Which accommodation would be best to pick at UEA

Hi just received an offer from UEA via clearing and am awaiting an email for further confirmation, details etc especially about accommodation.

My question is, should I choose an ensuite campus even though I have not saved a single penny in advance for uni. I'm worried that I'll become broke and won't be able to barely survive if I pick ensuite campus but really want an ensuite campus. As for parents financial support, have none, so there's that.

Any tips on budgeting as well, I heard the cost for ensuite campus is around£138 per week, pardon my ignorance but would roughly £7,000 student finance for the year be able to cover that. I'm aware that the annual cost for the ensuite accommodation would be around £5000, so was worried if it would be enough for me to budget on £2000. Can any maths wiz help me in calculating an efficient budget per term, i.e how much to spend per week after paying rent.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

bump
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
bump
This is very useful if you want to compare the prices. https://www.uea.ac.uk/documents/6207125/6357051/Temporary+2016+price+list.pdf/cc5c608f-d29d-4e4a-9b92-b1fd81fb536c

£7000 a year is doable, I think. Say you chose the ensuite campus which is around £5261 for a 38 week license (let's round it off to £5270 to make it easier). That leaves you with £1730. Divide that by 38 and you could spend a max of £45 per week. Of course, there are other cheaper options like the two bedroom unit (share a bathroom and a kitchen with one other person) or the ensuite village.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks, but would I even be able to survive for £45 pw? So scared
Okay so found out my actual loan for this year which is

£7885 for the year
En suite campus accommodation costs£5261 a year

£7885 - £5261 = £2624

£2624/38 = £69

Would I survive off of £69 per week, I have no prior budgeting experience so I'm scared 😱😱😱
Also in UEA with the two bedroom unit, the cost is £140 pw so does that mean I pay £70 and the other person pays £70 pw?

Would love to find someone to share that with but don't know anyone :frown:

EDIT: actually found out its £123 per person
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Iamalwayssad
Also in UEA with the two bedroom unit, the cost is £140 pw so does that mean I pay £70 and the other person pays £70 pw?

Would love to find someone to share that with but don't know anyone :frown:

EDIT: actually found out its £123 per person

Yeah, it's £123 per person. How much do you usually spend for food & stuff in a day? As long as you're not being excessive then i'm sure you can survive with £69 per week. You can try to budget around £10 in a day or less. Or if you'd like, you can get a part time job on top of that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by knifeprincess
Yeah, it's £123 per person. How much do you usually spend for food & stuff in a day? As long as you're not being excessive then i'm sure you can survive with £69 per week. You can try to budget around £10 in a day or less. Or if you'd like, you can get a part time job on top of that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Again, I'm literally a noob at everything, II know it sounds so pathetic but I have no idea how much the average budget for food shopping should be, but I reckon on average I may spend around £17 per week? Would £52 after food shopping be enough to live off of?
are there any other bills other than accommodation that I need to pay for?
are there any other bills other than accommodation that I need to pay for?

No the price you see is all inclusive. However do check that UEA are able to offer you accomodation. Unless they said they were guarenteeing you a room then its not guarenteed and you may have to find a room in private accomodation.
Original post by jelly1000
No the price you see is all inclusive. However do check that UEA are able to offer you accomodation. Unless they said they were guarenteeing you a room then its not guarenteed and you may have to find a room in private accomodation.

oh my thats a huge worry, actually
heard them say verbally that accommodation is guaranteed but that was one person and not written yet...terrified now OMG
Reply 13
heard them say verbally that accommodation is guaranteed but that was one person and not written yet...terrified now OMG

Honestly don't worry or panic, if you don't get guaranteed accommodation (or you get an accommodation offer that is unaffordable) the uni has a letting site affiliated to them called Home Run, where you can find a room in a student house.

Also check out these FB pages, as current 2nd/3rd/4th year students frequently post on them with spare rooms that they need to fill this academic year:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/192565181116116/?fref=nf

https://www.facebook.com/groups/316131405105115/?

Don't worry you will be able to find somewhere to live :smile:

In that case you should be ok, however it may be a case that you get a room wherever is left, you may not be allocated until after others are.
Around £30 a week for food is realistic. You can get it delivered if you wish, I went with Sainsbury's.*
(edited 7 years ago)
I am absolutely terrified that UEA might run out of accommodation and might make me go private. Their service has been so appalling, they made so many human errors with my application, and to think after getting so far that I'm still in tears over accommodation is killing me.
I am absolutely terrified that UEA might run out of accommodation and might make me go private. Their service has been so appalling, they made so many human errors with my application, and to think after getting so far that I'm still in tears over accommodation is killing me.

Which one did you choose?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by knifeprincess
Which one did you choose?

Posted from TSR Mobile

In the following order

Ensuite Campus
Ensuite hickling barton - filled up
ensuite village
single campus
single zigg
twin zigg
shared house

keep crying over the fact that places are filling up as we speak
In the following order

Ensuite Campus
Ensuite hickling barton - filled up
ensuite village
single campus
single zigg
twin zigg
shared house

keep crying over the fact that places are filling up as we speak

That sucks. Hopefully you get your first choice (I didn't get mine btw xD). You might want to have a look at some private accommodation just in case?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest