The Student Room Group

Retake A Levels or to a "bad" uni

I got ACC at A-Levels but I believe if I retook them I could get better.
I went through clearing and got into Leicester University.
Should I go to Leicester or retake my A-Levels?

I want to go into the the professional services sector/accounting/banking and finance possibly, etc.
I was looking on the internet and some people say employers don't look at A-Levels whilst others say most people get a 2:1 or better at uni nowadays so the next thing they look at is A-Levels before you even get an interview.

Thoughts on if I should retake or go to uni would be greatly appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ronaldo222

I want to go into the the professional services sector/accounting/banking and finance possibly, etc.
I was looking on the internet and some people say employers don't look at A-Levels whilst others say most people get a 2:1 or better at uni nowadays so the next thing they look at is A-Levels before you even get an interview.

Retake. Try and get AAB, it's seen as the "gold standard", so to speak.
Reply 2

Go to Leicester. Doing a degree will stretch you out harder than a levels ever could. Even at a 'bad' uni like leicester. Which isn't even a bad uni anyway!
Reply 3

UNISTATS has (what I think) are good statistics based on employment after the first 6 months from their previous students. If these statistics look bad on courses that you are eligible for, then maybe consider resitting some A-Level exams to improve your grades.
Reply 4
Leicester ain't bad bro

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I understand Leicester isn't a bad university but will employers look at all the other CV's on the table and look at my A-Level grades and throw my CV in the bin because a 2:1 is a MUST for top companies and the next thing they'll look at is my A-Level grades.
What course?
Reply 7
Take my advice with a pinch of salt, but I swear work experience/contacts matter more than academics. So with that in mind they probably won't look at A Levels, they just want you to have done internships, and to know people in the industry. As well as the academics ofc
Reply 8
Original post by Kyle1198
Take my advice with a pinch of salt, but I swear work experience/contacts matter more than academics. So with that in mind they probably won't look at A Levels, they just want you to have done internships, and to know people in the industry. As well as the academics ofc

I'm not sure how employers look at each candidate but I would assume they would have so many people to look at, they won't want to read each persons work experience...so it would be easier to look at A-Levels.

I think once you get past the interview stage they will start looking at work experience etc..

I don't know though, does anyone know how employers tend to differentiate each candidate at the beginning stages of job application.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by DarkEnergy
What course?

Accounting and Finance
I understand Leicester isn't a bad university but will employers look at all the other CV's on the table and look at my A-Level grades and throw my CV in the bin because a 2:1 is a MUST for top companies and the next thing they'll look at is my A-Level grades.

I'm in a similar situation but worse of with CCC, which course did you get in for?
What I have decided is I think I'll still go to uni and get that 2:1 and lots of experience. Then after by then you can always do one of those fast track A levels or two within a year which would feel very easy after degree? Sometimes you have to just think how much you'll grow as a person and build the cv with experience while at uni instead of resitting which you can do after was my thought process.
Retake imo. Nothing to do with Leicester.
Accounting and Finance

What 'went wrong' in the subjects you got C's in?
Reply 13
Original post by DarkEnergy
What 'went wrong' in the subjects you got C's in?

Didn't revise much but that would definitely change my work ethic if I were to retake.
Go with your heart. Don't be fooled by attending a university you do not want to go to.

Best decision of my life last year deciding to resit year 13 even though all my friends had a place at university. I originally achieved BBD last year and was devastated that I could not fulfill my dreams of attending a prestigious/russell group university.

Thankfully my resit year was not so bad and I made friends. I knew I had to try hard to get to where I want as I did not want to just go to any university for the sake of it nor did I want to do a foundation year with not so good A Levels. I have now been given a place at a russell group university and obtained A*AB. Believe it or not, my D grade actually became an A grade this year.

So my advice is, do what you think is best. If you think you can do better next year then definitely consider resitting although your grades are pretty decent. If you do resit, you might only wish to resit your C grades and you could decide to pick up a new AS-Level on another subject.
(edited 7 years ago)
Didn't revise much but that would definitely change my work ethic if I were to retake.

Yeah, if you got C's without a lot of revision you can probably/definitely get AAB+ next year. I'd retake if I were you. In the grand scheme of things, an extra year of college is nothing. Doing 3 or 4 years of a degree at a uni you aren't 100% content with which may limit your future isn't the best.
Good luck with everything.
Retake

grad schemes/grad role usually require 320 ucas for Accounting, so get that and you'll thank me one day.
Reply 17
More opinions would be appreciated.
I am in a similar boat to you and on a similar thread most people recommended "retake".
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4264526

I would say you are very capable since you achieved an A, I am going to retake my maths and biology and hope for the best :biggrin:
Reply 19
Original post by Applepiex3
I am in a similar boat to you and on a similar thread most people recommended "retake".
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4264526

I would say you are very capable since you achieved an A, I am going to retake my maths and biology and hope for the best :biggrin:

What do you plan to do in your retake year?
Go to school like normal or get work experience and revise at home and only going to school for the exams?

Latest