Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Studying Medicine

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 12-10-2016

I'm going into the second year of A levels and am just now considering doing medicine. I'm studying French, Chemistry & Biology & I have a lot of relevant work experience. I was just wondering if at this stage it would be worth trying. Or if anybody knows of any alternative means

Hey Rishie,

It's never too late to consider medicine. Applying for medicine for most people is a lifelong commitment, so there's absolutely no rush to start - many take a gap year before applying for various reasons. Do some work experience to see what you think if you don't have much already, but if you feel you have strong experience that clearly informs you of why you want to do medicine, you could consider applying this year along with everyone else. For that, you need to take the UKCAT before October (you still have time) and write a personal statement.

If you feel you need more time to think things over and/or get more experience, then you could always take a gap year and do the UKCAT/BMAT/apply the following year. We've come across people in their 30s and 40s applying to do medicine for the first time, so you have plenty of time to decide!

Hope that helps,

UCL Medical School, 5th Year

I'd say that a gap year would be a really good idea for you, because medicine is such a huge commitment it's really common amongst applicants to take a year or two out anyway.
    If you did want to apply this year, you would need to do the UKCAT very soon, and begin crafting an awesome personal statement. It's not impossible by any means, but you won't have had much time to think things through. (Bare in mind the earlier UCAS date for medicine/vet/Oxbridge)

I would consider it, If it's something that interests you then go for it!
    However entry is very competitive, so here are some things to think about:

- gcse results (some require 4 - 8 A*)

- a level predicted results (hopefully AAA or higher for most), some might want maths so check each uni you're interested in

- long term volunteering - this shows that you are empathetic/ caring, also think of how you can say it has improved you as a person - you could talk about work experience etc. (try St John's Abulance or a care home).

- UKCAT/ BMAT, check the requirements of any school you are interested in, and give the tests a go

- also prepare for interviews, you can buy books or find questions online easily, practise a few of these
    E.g. How long does it take to become a consultant?

If you don't think you have enough time:
    -consider a gap year with an organisation such as Gap Medics where you go to Thailand/ Caribbean
    -do a biochemistry/ pharmacology/ French degree instead for 3 years, then enter the shorter 4 year graduate course.
    -maybe you could look at working in France or a French speaking country to enhance your CV
    Good luck!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather be able to

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.