The Student Room Group

need advice on what to drop AS

I've been planning on dropping politics for a long time now after hating it all year however on thursday i had quite the surprise when it turned out I'd got a solid A in this whereas the subject I'm meant to be best at, english literature, i only got a C in. This is a problem throughout our year with the majority of Literature students barely passing and the school are going to investigate why it's happened but it's left me very confused on what to drop? I want to do journalism or media at university so I'm worried if I drop english literature now with a C it will look really bad on my UCAS statement, plus I've already done a lot of work on the set texts and assessments for next year so obviously I will have wasted all that time if I drop it now, but of course politics does count for next year and with my A it does set me on a good track. Can anyone offer me some good advice please as I have to make a decision by wednesday and i'm really stressed out at what to do, thank you :smile:
Original post by goldiefan
I've been planning on dropping politics for a long time now after hating it all year however on thursday i had quite the surprise when it turned out I'd got a solid A in this whereas the subject I'm meant to be best at, english literature, i only got a C in. This is a problem throughout our year with the majority of Literature students barely passing and the school are going to investigate why it's happened but it's left me very confused on what to drop? I want to do journalism or media at university so I'm worried if I drop english literature now with a C it will look really bad on my UCAS statement, plus I've already done a lot of work on the set texts and assessments for next year so obviously I will have wasted all that time if I drop it now, but of course politics does count for next year and with my A it does set me on a good track. Can anyone offer me some good advice please as I have to make a decision by wednesday and i'm really stressed out at what to do, thank you :smile:

Have a look at unis and see what they say about any preferences for English lit, if any, or preference for high grades (for the unis you want to apply to). I would not advise studying a subject you hate but you've done really well in it so.. :dontknow: you have to decide whether it's worth doing, so look at the A2 spec. Also look at the A2 spec for English lit - it's honestly such a difficult A-level and probably steps up at A2 as well, just like it does by a lot from GCSE to AS. Okay, you've done some work on it but I don't know if it's possible or worth it to drop.
I wouldn't advise continuing with a subject that you hate, unless you are beginning to like it more at this stage. If you drop politics at AS, you can still list it as an AS on your application, and that A will look fantastic. :smile:

It sounds like you have more of an interest in English Literature -- which is a pretty tough subject, but a passion for it could definitely motivate you to work hard and increase that grade if you wish to. Perhaps there will be an improved quality of teaching if they're looking into it now; otherwise, could you look into a few sessions with a private tutor, or extra materials for independent study?

Both of the subjects sound relevant to what you want to study at Uni, although English literature is probably a little more so. Whichever you choose will probably be good, as long as you have enough interest in it and won't wear yourself down too much next year doing a subject you really dislike. Anway, I wish you luck with whichever subject you choose to take forward! And congrats on passing, and on the A in politics.

Quick Reply

Latest