Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Software Engineering / Computer Science Courses

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

Just curioius but can I do a bachelors degree in either of the above subjects without a year in industry? Can't seem to find an option on the website

Naw lad, unless you're doing a masters course, the year in industry is compulsory.
    That said, the Uni apparently has a lot of contacts both local and foreign, and I'm pretty sure you can arrange your own.
    Tbf from what I've heard the placement year is pretty valuable for getting experience yanno?
    Helps you stand out when you're going to get a job you get me?

I'm currently in Dublin on my placement year out from QUB Software Enginering. I started off on CS, easy to change. You do not want to be doing a CS degree without some form of placement trust me. I have heard countless stories of people finding it very hard to get jobs without placement. One example in a different subject (there are lots of examples in CS too) is Psychology at QUB, doesn't include placement year, but Ulster does for same degree - Ulster graduates get most jobs in Psychology I'm told... They do have a lot of contacts both local and foreign yes but you arrange your own placement, there is a dedicated website where all the companies advertise the placements/internships (same thing). They 'help' you... Placement is very valuable for experience and will make it much easier to get a job and to know what you are doing after graduation. Don't even consider not doing a placement please, for your own good. It can be hard to get one. I thought I was rubbish at interviews but practice is the best thing for interviews. I had 15 interviews before I got placement, practice was what made me good at interviews!

Also you lucky new first years get to use the new BCB (CS) building before my year does... Not fair! It's an incredible building though compared to ECS1 and ECS2 (where we were while it was being built) and in comparison to the old BCB.

Any more questions please don't hesitate to ask! PM me if you want to ask something more private
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 30, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do you wear to bed?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.