Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My A* descriptive writing assignment

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I managed to found a piece I did for English language GCSE. The teacher gave us the theme of 'street market', then I just free styled it around the theme. I don't remember if this is the final draft, because is the only file I can find on my computer related to the 'street market' writing. Apologies in advance for any grammatical errors and misspelled words. But my teacher gave me an A* for this. We had to write about 500 words.
    The hordes of people are walking in one direction down the street, like they're being herded by a farmer tending its animals. Gamboling around, the children play. Laughter and giggles brightens the scorching day. Snickering scoundrels are positioned asymmetrically, on the street. The detestable stench of putrid seafood lingers in the air, unnoticed by the fish monger, who is likely desensitised by the marine life. A big huddle is forming around the meats market. Pursuers raised their money in the air. The sight of tantalising, fresh meats started an insidious riot among the crowd.

Eventually, a man received a shove, which led to the destruction to the racks that hold the meats. The eager crowd dove onto the ground, fighting with each other over the poultry. The owner of the meats market and his bereft cohorts attempted to stop the brawl, but failed horrendously, since they were battered beyond recognition. Suddenly, the ragtag band of scoundrels rushed towards the commotion, while everyone else on the street was looking on. Arriving into the location of the fight, the scoundrels looked at each other, then nodded in agreement. They worked together to break up the fight, then fled the scene with all the meats.

Then a loud clamor arises, among the children that are playing. They were reenacting the whole brawl with each other. "Stop it!" shouted a woman of the advanced age, she continued "Michael!, stop horse playing this instant!" The boy was lying on the ground, as if he was completely lifeless. She then grabbed him by the ear, forcing him to stand up, then continued walking on until they were out of sight of the other children.

On the far side of the street market, a man is addressing the fish monger. He wanted him to get rid of his rotten seafood, but the fish monger just looked at him blankly. The man emits a sigh of exasperation then walks away. A single drop of tear falls down the fish monger's left eye, then the second drop out of his right eye. Turning around, he walked toward the back of his shop and started to sob. Next to him, lies his only true friend, his dog. Who is lying completely unconscious. He sits down with the back of his head against the wall. His only friend that understands his deafness, has passed away.

Gazing intensely, a little girl is in awe of the plant shop further down the street. The aroma dazzled and rendered visitors to a catatonic state. Most of the attention is directed to the dew kissed flowers. The shopkeeper approached the crowd observing the flowers. "These are twelve shillings!" she says, then the sound of groans falls over the crowd. As people walked away from the shop, the little girl approached the shopkeeper from behind. She tugged on her gardening apron, then raised her tiny hand with soot stained fingertips revealed a few coins. Gasping at the sight of her, the shopkeeper took a knee, then places her hand over hers, to close it. Reaching onto the table, the shopkeeper grabbed a rose and placed it on the little girl's other hand. The little girl leaned in and gave a peck on her cheek, then scampered away with a smile.

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.